Staff Attorney (Consumer: Early Resolution Program)
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Legal Aid Chicago seeks a full-time staff attorney in the Consumer Practice Group. This position is funded by and will support our work with the Early Resolution Program with Cook County Legal Aid for Housing and Debt (CCLAHD), a county-wide initiative to help resolve eviction, foreclosure, debt, and tax deed issues.
The Early Resolution Program for consumer debt provides brief services to consumer debtors in Cook County in order to advise them of their rights, equip them with basic pro se materials, provide referrals, and assist them in reaching agreements with creditors.
The start date for this position is February 2022.
- Provide legal representation to clients facing debt collection, with an emphasis on brief services in debt collection matters including advice and negotiation
- Prepare and deliver appropriate pro se materials
- Conduct necessary outreach and communications with all six municipal district court personnel
- Assist with operation of the consumer debt early resolution program
- Work collaboratively with Legal Aid Chicago staff, students and volunteers to provide comprehensive legal services
- Track data related to grant and assist on related reporting
- Maintain case files and timekeeping in electronic case management system
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisory Attorneys and the Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
- Applicants must have a J.D. degree and be licensed to practice law in Illinois (or will be sworn into the Illinois bar in January 2022), or be licensed in another state and able to waive into the Illinois bar.
- Experience in consumer debt is preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills, highly developed organizational skills, and great client counseling skills
- The successful applicant will be collegial, well-organized, and demonstrate a commitment to and experience with our client communities and/or people living in poverty, and applicants are encouraged to share that experience in their cover letter.
- Applicants must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
Send your cover letter, resume, law school transcript (unofficial ok), short writing sample (3-5 pages), and the contact information of two professional references to: email@example.com. Please place “Consumer ERP Attorney” in the subject line of your e-mail. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.