Attorney (multiple positions)
The purpose of this position is to provide civil legal assistance to indigent persons approved by program policies and priorities on such matters as individual rights, housing, public benefits, elder law, family law, consumer rights, education, and employment law.
1. Interviews, certifies eligibility, and identifies the legal problems of FRLS clients within a specific area of law and provides clients with appropriate legal assistance in the form of advice, referrals, or actual representation.
2. Participates in community outreach and education.
3. Represents clients in court and before administrative agencies as accepted.
4. Provides documentation, statistical information and other records as required by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director, or Executive Director.
5. Participates in case acceptance meetings.
6. Participates in training to keep up CLE’s and required and legally relevant training as may be provided by the program and as mandated by Florida Bar rules.
7. Adheres to office hours, exhibits a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills, communicates, and treats clients and staff with courtesy and respect, provides constructive feedback to other advocates (paralegals) on cases discussed.
8. Serves as a role model to support staff by promoting the values of hard work, high quality advocacy and treating others with courtesy and respect.
9. Attempts to ensure accessibility of the local office(s) when necessary, by serving clients, including rural clients, non-English speaking clients and client with disabilities.
10. Promotes good relations with the public, including client groups, service providers, press, and private bars, attending/speaking at local meetings as appropriate and approved by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director and/or Executive Director.
11. Is familiar with FRLS policies, as well as requirements of LSC and other funders, and adheres to those policies and requirements.
12. Maintain an accurate follow-up system to review cases when needed.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
2. Barred in Florida.
3. Knowledge of State and Federal court practices required.
4. Some knowledge of the legal system, commitment to the mission of FRLS and
compassion for the clients.
5. Ability to forge positive relationships with prospects and colleagues.
6. Good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
7. Ability to work collaboratively, yet independently.
8. Must be able to effectively and efficiently be able to maximize existing resources.
9. Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
Knowledge of CMS a plus.
10. Must be able to effectively work in high-pressure situations, which involve deadlines.
11. Bilingual Spanish/Haitian Creole preferred, but not required.
Please click on the location in which you would like to apply:
Lakeland, Florida: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/a817a307-289e-4e2f-...
Fort Pierce, Florida: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/a817a307-289e-4e2f-...
Fort Myers, Florida: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/a817a307-289e-4e2f-...
Riviera Beach, Florida: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/a817a307-289e-4e2f-...
Belle Glade, Florida: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/a817a307-289e-4e2f-...