Everything You Need to Know for MIE Virtual Events
Quick Start Guide
How to Log into Sched
How to Find the Zoom links
Tips for Navigating Sched
Zoom Tips & Troubleshooting
What You Need to Know During the Event
How to Connect & Chat with Colleagues During the Event Using Zoom
1. Check your email for the invitation to log in to Sched.
Sched is an online platform, home base for the MIE event, and where you will find the Zoom links.
2. In Sched, click on the desired session in the schedule, then click the hyperlink: Click here to join this session.
We’re looking forward to meeting with you online for this event, with all the valuable sessions and experts you’re used to, in a virtual format.
Sched is an online platform, home base for the event, including program, agenda, presenter bios, and session descriptions and materials. The Zoom links to access sessions will also be found at Sched. Check your email for the invitation to log in to Sched or refer to the How to Log Into Sched section below for more information.
Make sure your device is running the most current version of Zoom. We’ll be using some of the newest Zoom features during the event, and you may also want to take advantage of others, such as closed captioning. See the Zoom Tips & Troubleshooting Guide below for more info.
Visit the 'Reception Room.' A Reception Room Zoom link will be open all day for you to get oriented or ask general questions about the event or tech issues. The Reception Room Zoom link can be found in the General Information tab at Sched.
We'll have staff on hand in each session to take your tech questions and provide live assistance. We recommend taking a few moments ahead of time to familiarize yourself with both Sched and Zoom features and system requirements so you're ready to go the day of the Training. During a session, use the chat feature in Zoom to contact the room monitor for help or refer to the Zoom Tips & Troubleshooting Guide below for more assistance.
We'll be recording sessions to make them available later. It’s important to be candid and open during sessions, but please keep in mind that whatever you say will be available for other registrants to listen to after the training.
Connect with Your Colleagues. We encourage you to chat and network with fellow attendees on your own, during breaks or after sessions. Brief instructions on how to connect with other attendees using Zoom can be found below.
We want to accommodate all of our attendees. Please contact Patricia Pap, firstname.lastname@example.org, as soon as possible if you have any questions about accessibility or to request accommodations.
Sched is an online platform, home to everything you need for the training, including Zoom links. View the brief video below or use the following instructions to log in to Sched.
1. Check your email for your invitation to join the event website at Sched. The invitation will be sent to the email address you used to register for the training. If you need to search your Inbox or Spam folder for the message, the Subject is: You’re Invited to [Event Name] and it is From: Sched 'email@example.com'. If you think you may have registered under different email address, or need assistance, email Erica M. Szuplat, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Click on the part of the email message that says: Create Your Profile + Schedule. This will bring you to the event website at Sched.
3. At the next screen, create a password in the first field, retype it in the second field, then click Save Password. At the next screen, choose your privacy settings, enter any Profile info you wish to share, add a photo (square is best!), then click Save Settings at the bottom of the screen.
4. Click on the Schedule tab to get to the main page at Sched. Bookmark the URL in your browser and stay logged in so you can get back to it the day of the event.
The Zoom links will be available at Sched. Watch the brief video below or use the following instructions to find the Zoom link.
1. At Sched, hover over the Schedule tab near the top left, and click on your preferred view (Simple, Expanded, etc.).
2. Click on the session you’d like to attend.
3. Scroll to the session description and click on: Click here to join this session.
4. A new window will open for Zoom with a dialog box that says: Open Zoom.us. app? Click on: Open zoom.us.app.
Congrats, you are now in the session!
Edit your Profile, save sessions to your personal schedule, view fellow Attendees, download session materials and more. View the brief video below or read the following tips for an overview of Sched.
Click on the tabs at the top of Sched for:
- The Schedule
- Speaker list
- Attendee list
- General Information (includes the Event Program PDF, downloadable Participant Directory, Quick Tech Help, the Reception Room Zoom link, Dial-in numbers for Zoom, a link back to this MIE Virtual Event Guide, and information about our Room names)
View the Schedule in 4 different formats: Simple, Expanded, Grid, etc. Hover over the Schedule tab and choose from the dropdown menu.
View One Day at a Time: Sort by Date by hovering over the Date filter in the right sidebar.
Click on a Session to:
- access the Zoom link
- read the session description
- view session presenters
- view and download session materials
- leave immediate feedback after the session by clicking on the smiley faces
Time Zone: Times in the Event Program PDF, including Agenda, and Sched are listed in Eastern Time. You can re-set Sched to your own Time Zone. In the right sidebar, click the down arrow next to Time Zone to choose your preferred zone.
General Information: You can find the following resources at the General Information tab at Sched:
- Event Program PDF
- Participant Directory
- Quick Tech Help
- The Reception Room Zoom Link
- Link back to this MIE Virtual Event Guide
- Information About Our Room Names
- Dial-in numbers for Zoom
Save Sched to the Home Screen of your mobile device
Open Safari as your browser. Open the MIE Sched website for the training. Log In to Sched. Tap at the bottom of the Screen, choose 'Add to Home Screen', and 'Add.'
Launch Chrome as your browser. Open the MIE Sched website for the training. Log In to Sched. Tap the menu icon (3 dots in upper right-hand corner) and tap 'Add to homescreen'.You'll be able to enter a name for the shortcut and then Chrome will add it to your home screen.
Or, launch Firefox as your browser. Touch and hold the website URL in the address bar until a pop-up menu appears. Select 'Add Page Shortcut'. In the next window, choose 'Add Automatically'.
I’m Having Problems:
- Extra tips for when your video or camera is not working
- Troubleshooting audio on a mobile device
- Tips to resolve freezing or slow audio/video or connectivity problems
- Dial-in numbers for Zoom can be found at the General Information tab at Sched. If you need assistance with Dial-in information email email@example.com.
Helpful Zoom Tips:
- Be sure your device is running the most current version of Zoom
Configure Closed Caption settings
Closed Captioning will be used throughout the conference. Click and drag the subtitles to move their place in the meeting window.
To adjust Closed Caption size:- Click Live Transcript and then Subtitle Settings
- Move the slider to adjust the caption size.
To turn off Closed Caption:
- Click Live Transcript on the meeting control bar and then Hide Subtitles.
- A quick video overview on how to join a meeting & configure basic preferences
- Join a meeting by phone (if you’re not using the Zoom computer client or mobile app)
- Test your video settings
- Test your audio settings
Mute or Unmute by clicking the microphone icon in the bottom left corner of your screen
- Turn Video on or off by clicking the video camera icon in the bottom left corner of your screen
- Making sure Zoom has the right permissions to function on a Mac
- A guide for setting the layout in a Zoom meeting (speaker or gallery view, etc.)
To use Zoom's built-in nonverbal feedback tools, including raising your hand during a meeting:
Join a Zoom meeting as a participant.
- Click the Reactions button.
- Choose from the following icons or click to choose from a full set of emojis. Click the icon again to remove it.
Setting the skin tone for your reactions
- In the Zoom client, click your profile picture and then click Settings.
- In the General tab, select your reaction skin tone.
Highlighted below are tips to help you navigate the virtual event and have a more personal experience.
If you're having tech trouble:
- Try the Zoom Tips & Troubleshooting guide below.
- During a session, click on Chat in Zoom and choose the tech help individual to ask for help.
- If that doesn’t work, visit the General Information tab at Sched, and click on the Reception Zoom room link to ask for assistance.
- If you're having Zoom trouble and can't even access the Reception Room Zoom link, email CMcTiernan@just-tech.com. We’ll be checking it frequently, and someone will get back to you ASAP.
All Zoom links for the different sessions can be found in Sched. We will be using multiple Zoom links throughout the event. Each link is listed for each session in Sched; open the desired session in Sched, then click on: Click here to join this session.
Everything you need before and during the event will be available at the Sched website. The schedule of sessions you’re used to with descriptions, presenters, and materials, as well as the Zoom links will be at Sched. Additional event resources, including a link back to the MIE Virtual Event guide can be found at the General Information tab at Sched.
Think of this like a regular conference or training. Visit the Reception Room. Reach out directly to fellow attendees and have conversations about what you’re learning and experiencing. Have fun! If you have any general questions, or just want to say hi to MIE staff, the Reception Room Zoom link can be found at the General Information tab at Sched.
We'll be recording the event. We’ll be making recordings available later. It’s important to be candid and open during sessions, but please keep in mind that whatever you say will be available for other attendees to listen to after the event.
We encourage you to connect and network outside of scheduled sessions during the event and hope you’ll make use of Sched and Zoom features to find and chat with your colleagues.
Your Profile at Sched: Be sure to update your profile at Sched with as much contact info as you’d like to share (square is best for photos!) and make sure your info is visible to fellow Attendees. Hover over your profile icon and choose Settings. Under Privacy and Email, toggle on 'Make my profile & schedule public.' Enter and update any other information, then scroll to the bottom and click Save Settings.
Attendee Lists at Sched: We've added all Attendees to Sched so you can see who else will be at the event. Click on the Attendee tab to look up who you might know, who’s attending a session with you, or to find their email so you can chat on Zoom or get in touch with them after the training. Or, click on Participant Directory in the General Information tab.
Zoom Name & Video Tips: Enter your name in Zoom so it displays in the corner of your video during sessions.
Click on the Settings gear, then Profile and Edit My Profile to update your screen name. Leave your camera on throughout the training or, upload a still photo; even if you have your video turned off, your fellow attendees can still 'see' you.
How to Have Impromptu Conversations in Zoom: Use Zoom's 'Personal Meeting Room' feature to have a conversation with your fellow attendees outside of the sessions.
- Under the orange button, click on the down arrow next to 'New Meeting'.
- Make sure the 'Use My Personal Meeting ID' box is checked.
- Hover over the number and click 'Copy Invitation'.
- Paste the Invitation information you just copied into a text or email and send it to the person you want to invite to the meeting.
- Click on New Meeting to start the meeting. Wait for your colleague to join; if you have Enabled the Waiting Room, admit them when they arrive.
- When you're done, click End to close the meeting.