Medical-Legal Partnership Program Health Advocate
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS is working towards an annual budget of $11 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Newland, Spruce Pine, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-nine, including thirty-four attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Pisgah Legal Services is seeking a health advocate who will represent the organization in a multidisciplinary team as the primary staff position in a medical-legal partnership program with Hot Springs Health Program in Madison County, NC. The health advocate will educate the community, coordinate with the health care providers, and coordinate with the social service sector about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), public benefits, tax credits, and the connection between health and poverty.
This position will involve a high volume of individual appointments and community outreach events and presentations.
- Work with individuals in one-on-one appointments to support health insurance enrollment in the NC Marketplace or Medicaid, with a primary focus in AMMY (Avery, Mitchell, Madison, Yancey) counties.
- Build relationships with community organizations and leaders, primarily in AMMY counties, to promote awareness of free legal aid, health insurance enrollment, and tax assistance available.
- Work closely with Pisgah Legal’s Economic Recovery Program, Hot Springs Health Program staff, other local Navigators, FQHCs, and CACs to organize enrollment fairs and clinics at various sites.
- In collaboration with Pisgah Legal’s Economic Recovery Program, provide technical expertise to volunteers and consumers about the ACA, Medicaid, and federal tax credits (premium tax credit, child tax credit, earned income tax credit) including potential financial impact.
- Facilitate and document referrals to appropriate agencies, including Pisgah Legal Services, as liaison between PLS and Hot Springs Health Program.
- Provide basic education to patients of Hot Springs Health about how PLS can help them deal with health-harming situations (lack of benefits, domestic abuse, housing instability, consumer debt, access to healthcare).
- Use web-based software programs to screen clients, report health insurance enrollment outcomes, track consumer forms, and assist with program data entry and grant reporting.
- Provide remote services through phone, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other platforms until COVID-19 restrictions permit in-office work.
- Commit to continued learning about the connection between socio-economic factors and health and passionately support the idea of access to quality healthcare for all people.
- Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Upon return to PLS offices, the Health Advocate work onsite at Hot Springs Health Program in Madison County, and travel regularly to Asheville. An agency car or mileage reimbursement are available for work-related travel.
Salary ranges from $31,120 – $48,339 depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay. Pisgah Legal Services is a Living Wage Certified Employer in 18 WNC counties: Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Clay, Cherokee, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania and Yancey.
Pisgah Legal Services Pays 100% of the Employee Only and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBSNC Medical and Dental coverage. Pisgah Legal Services 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. Employees are eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage the 1st of the month following the hire date. Pisgah Legal Services Pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan with Company Matching available after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Employee Assistance Program and a great working environment with work life balance!
COVID-19 Safety Information:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, as of January 4th, all Pisgah employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place such as working remotely as our business allows, requiring face masks while meeting with clients or co-workers, providing outdoor meeting areas to meet with clients while wearing masks, limiting onsite visits by meeting virtually or by phone with clients. Pisgah Legal Services also conducts temperature checks at our location upon arrival.
- Demonstrated skill with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and commitment to equity.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, consumers, clients, board members, donors, community groups, member organizations and others.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently.
- Detail-oriented, accurate, and organized including ability to understand, remember, and carry out complex instructions.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Personal/professional roots in and strong network of connections in Madison County preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in areas such as in social work, public health, public policy or a related field (degree not required).
- Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish preferred.
- Experience in public benefit eligibility or enrollment and/or work experience as an enrollment service representative preferred.
- Availability to work Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm, with flexibility for some evening and weekend shifts especially during tax season and open enrollment.
- Successfully complete and pass the certification to become Navigator/Certified Application Counselor provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) upon hiring.
- Must be free from conflicts of interests, including payments and incentives from brokers, insurers or insurance industry.
- Must own a reliable car and have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends with comp time provided.
- Must be able to multi-task with long periods of sitting or standing and interact with professionals, clients, patients, and other office personnel.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to email@example.com.
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.