Advice Line Attorney
Positon Overview: This is a professional P/T position involving the delivery of high quality legal advice, counseling and brief services as a licensed attorney.
1. Perform high volume client intake and interviews over the telephone, confirming applicant eligibility determinations and evaluating the complexity of each client's legal problem.
2. Provide immediate legal advice, counseling and brief services to clients.
3. Evaluate the client’s legal issues and facts and determine whether FRLS should provide more extensive service by appropriate office.
4. Prepare closing advice letters and attach any self-help attachments.
5. Refer clients with non-legal problems to appropriate social service agencies and to the Florida Bar Referral line if necessary.
6. Use computerized system for accurate recording of client information such as case notes, case management and referrals.
7. Assist in developing and updating appropriate legal advice and brief services letters, legal instructional materials and other written materials as requested by the Advice Line Manager.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Graduate of an accredited law school.
2. Admitted to practice law in Florida.
3. Requires excellent client interviewing skills, a substantial knowledge housing and family law issues, and the ability to give immediate assistance to clients whose problems do not require litigation or do not qualify for full representation through Florida Rural Legal Services.
4. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work closely and cooperatively with other team members.
5. Demonstrated ability to interview clients to determine essential facts with regard to the nature and severity of their legal problems.
6. Demonstrated ability to accept major responsibility and to work independently.
7. Demonstrable interest in the area of poverty law and working with low income people.
8. Some travel required.
1. Familiarity and experience working with a wide range of social service agencies.
2. Internet, e-mail, and word processing experience in a Windows-based environment is highly preferred.
3. Bilingual English and Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred.
Working Conditions: This position operates in a professional office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some lifting of office supplies up to 20 pounds may be required.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org