Legal Aid Society has an opening for an attorney in its Cookeville office. This attorney will provide a wide range of legal representation and advocacy to victims of domestic violence, sexual trauma, and stalking under the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) grant, primarily in areas of family law, consumer, housing and education, and will carry a caseload Territory covers nine counties: Clay, Cumberland, DeKalb, Fentress, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, White and VanBuren. As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include other areas of law as needed, administrative advocacy and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
This position is funded in part by a VOCA grant from OCJP and the attorney must adhere to goals and outcomes spelled out in the grant contract.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
- Must be a law school graduate and be admitted to practice in Tennessee or willing to take first available bar examination.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law, helping seniors, health and benefit law, housing and consumer law, and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Commitment to high quality representation and a desire to handle cases that benefit individual clients as well as those impacting their communities.
- Ability to be flexible and creative with litigation strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and analysis skills.
- Experienced in public speaking and training others on the law.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work with a team and independently.
- Experience working under and reporting on grants.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and Legal Files database preferred. Ability to learn new computer skills.
- Residence or intent to reside in the office’s service area and a sense of humor are preferred.
- Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Please indicate which office(s) you are interested in. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Cookeville VOCA Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.