Support Services Manager
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Support Services Manager.
• High school graduate or equivalent; some college helpful;
• A minimum of three (3) years as a litigation secretary;
• One (1) year of supervisory experience required;
• Ability to operate and understand a variety of office tools and technology;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and work cooperatively with staff;
• Ability to effectively interact and communicate with people of diverse cultures with tact and sensitivity.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
• Knowledge of court system, legal citations, civil litigation, legal terminology and understanding of requirements of professional responsibility;
• Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills; and
• Multilingual skills in languages and dialects of client community served by LAFLA helpful.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Ensures adequate coverage for all absences, including performing, when necessary, the duties of support staff;
• Supervises support staff; clarifies job duties and coordinates workflow of the support staff and ensures adequate backup as required;
• Identifies training needs for support staff in office/court tools and technology. Assists in providing or coordinating such training;
• Provides orientation for staff and volunteers to office and LAFLA systems, policies, practices and procedure;.
• Monitors operation of office case management system; ensures preparation and submission of appropriate reports to program administration on a timely basis;
• Monitors support staff compliance with LAFLA’s policies and procedures;
• Ensures maintenance of office docket/calendar/tickler systems;
• In conjunction with the Managing Attorneys, ensures maintenance of updated pleading bank, court forms, pro per materials, and other forms for office use.
• Composes a variety of administrative memoranda, confidential evaluations, correspondence, etc. Acts as office notary or ensures adequate notary services within the office;
• Participates in the development and maintenance of a variety of agency-wide resource
materials, such as a secretarial handbook and support resource library;
• Ensures prompt distribution of mail, fax and email correspondence, and all other documents;
• Ensures adequate support for the activities of the advisory councils and Board;
• Maintains litigation and other fiscal accounts as required;
• Ensures maintenance and proper handling of closed case files, including coordinating with
appropriate staff and/or other departments for off-site archival filing; and
• Performs other duties as assigned and/or required.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY - Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Support Services Manager” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.