Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking a Supervising Attorney to join our team in the Joliet office which serves Grundy and Will counties. Supervising Attorneys at PSLS are responsible for assisting the Managing Attorney in the supervision of legal work of up to five Staff Attorneys and the completion and monitoring of some administrative tasks for their office. In addition to the supervisory responsibilities, the Supervising Attorney will focus on public benefit access and legal assistance to vulnerable older adults, including those requiring long term care via nursing home, supportive living, assisted housing or in-home care and those who are victims of elder abuse.
Prairie State focuses services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and financial stability. We provide a wide-range of legal services to some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, including low-income individuals, older adults, veterans, and people with disabilities. Prairie State is the only legal aid organization in the majority of our area and we pride ourselves on providing high quality legal services to our clients while fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and rewarding, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth.
- Provide day to day supervision of legal work and provide ongoing feedback as necessary
- Review written work of case handlers
- Ensure that case handlers are engaging in timely, effective, and meaningful case planning
- Assist in leading case assignment meetings and making case acceptance decisions
- Conduct formal case review with Staff Attorneys to ensure all cases are progressing appropriately
- Assist the Managing Attorney in monitoring staff caseloads
- Assist the Managing Attorney in ensuring LSC and other grant compliance
- Assist the Managing Attorney in ensuring compliance with PSLS policies
- Assist the Managing Attorney with completing annual and ongoing performance evaluation
- Carry a caseload of approximately 75% of the applicable range based on experience identified in the Staff Attorney Performance Standards
The Supervising Attorney position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS salary offers are commensurate on experience and competitive and with similar organizations. Our Supervising Attorney salary range is approximately $62,000 - $75,000 for candidates with 5-10 years of experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- Flex schedule and partial remote work
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 Paid holidays
- Currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois
- A member in good standing of any state bar for at least two years
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral/written communication, research skills, and computer competency
- Organizational and case management skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and leader
- The ideal candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to serving disadvantaged populations and we will give preference to candidates who have knowledge of poverty law and experience providing services to low-income individuals.
Please indicate “Supervising Attorney – Joliet” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, short writing sample (less than 10 pages), and three professional references to email@example.com.