Staff Attorney (Consumer Practice Group)
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Legal Aid Chicago seeks two full-time staff attorneys in our Consumer Practice Group (CPG). The attorneys will represent homeowners facing the loss of their homes, debtors seeking bankruptcy protection under chapter 7 or 13, and consumers dealing with predatory lending, debt collection, fraud, insurance coverage, and public utilities. The positions will begin in October 2021 or as soon as possible.
- Provide extended representation, including advocacy and litigation, in the areas CPG handles in bankruptcy, state, and federal courts
- Interview eligible clients on a wide range of consumer issues and provide advice and brief services in appropriate cases
- Participate in complex litigation or advocacy to address systemic issues
- Work collaboratively with Legal Aid Chicago staff, students and volunteers to provide comprehensive legal services
- Conduct community education and outreach and build relationships with community partners in poverty fighting efforts
- Participate in training to agencies, advocates, clients, or community groups about legal services and rights impacting low income persons and other vulnerable persons
- Participate in other activities related to poverty law including publication, permissible legislative and administrative advocacy, media relations, and fundraising as needed.
- Assist with grant reporting, as appropriate and applicable
- Handle other duties as determined by the Supervisory Attorneys and the Director.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
Applicants must have a J.D. degree and be licensed to practice law in Illinois, licensed in another state and able to waive into the Illinois bar, or awaiting results from the July 2021 Illinois bar exam. The successful applicant will be collegial, well-organized, and demonstrate a commitment to and experience with our client communities and/or people living in poverty, and applicants are encouraged to share that experience in their cover letter. Applicants must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well under pressure. Spanish fluency is a plus.
Send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and the names and contact information of two professional references, to email@example.com. Put the phrase “Consumer Staff Attorney – Legal Aid Chicago” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the positions will remain open until filled.