Staff Attorney- Children and Families Practice Group
For over 50 years, LAF has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Position: LAF has an opening for an attorney representing clients in divorce and parentage proceedings, and domestic violence proceedings in Chicago and suburban Cook County. The expected start date for this position is May 1, 2018.
Responsibilities without limitation
• Maintain a full caseload involving orders of protection, civil no contact orders, stalking no contact orders as well as parentage, child support, or divorce cases.
• Gain knowledge in other areas of law handled by LAF such as housing, immigration, public benefits, education and consumer law, to ensure that clients’ legal needs are identified and met in those areas.
• Interview eligible clients and groups and assess their legal problems
• Provide appropriate advice and referrals
• Participate in complex litigation or advocacy to address system issues
• Work collaboratively with LAF staff, students and volunteers to provide comprehensive legal services
• Collaborate on projects that could involve outreach to community groups, developing new strategies for serving our clients, or addressing systemic issues through litigation, negotiation or advocacy.
• Participate in training to agencies, advocates, clients, or community groups about legal services and rights impacting low income persons
• Participate in other activities related to poverty law including publication, permissible legislative and administrative advocacy, media relations, and fundraising
Qualifications: Applicant must be licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of demonstrated experience in litigation, as well as a demonstrated interest or experience working with victims of domestic violence or with other vulnerable populations of people. Fluency in Spanish or another second language fluency is preferred. The applicant’s personal background, experience, or professional background should reflect an ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with clients, co-workers and the community we serve. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to suburban courts and community partner locations throughout Cook County. Salary Dependent on qualifications and experience level. LAF offers generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, copy of law school transcript, writing sample, and the names of two professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “CFPG Family Law” in the email subject line. These positions will remain open until filled. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. LAF values diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.