Southeastern Ohio Legal Services (SEOLS), is part of the Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA), a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus. OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
SEOLS is actively seeking a dedicated, professional Staff Attorney to provide comprehensive legal services for civil issues in pursuit of SEOLS mission and priorities. Staff Attorneys balance systemic advocacy with practical day-to-day legal representation.
In this role, you will be responsible for providing legal counsel and advise as well as direct representation in the areas of housing, public benefits, tax, domestic, consumer, education, employment and re-entry and collaborating with partner organizations in providing legal assistance to our communities through special projects and grants.
Are You Someone That:
• Is dedicated to improving the lives of low-income individuals in our communities?
• Enjoys helping clients triumph over adversity?
• Is motivated, professional and thrives within a collaborative, team-driven environment?
• Believes successful resolution can be reached beyond traditional litigation?
• Is interested in developing a wide range of legal skills and experiences?
• Handle all functions related to legal advocacy ranging from intake to the representation of clients before local, state, appellate and federal courts, and all relevant agencies • Maintain a caseload that includes both direct service and impact work
• Participate in one of our substantive teams focused on learning one area of the law more in depth and on addressing systemic issues
• Participate in outreach activities, clinics and other community events
• Collaborate with other legal services attorneys on statewide advocacy
• Promote community relations and build community relationships by engaging with the public and partner service providers
• Have the opportunity to participate in excellent on-going professional development including CLE-approved trainings on substantive poverty law and advocacy skills among others
• Be a part of a community of collaborative and mission driven professionals
Strong legal advocacy skills • Strong analytical and problem-solving skills • Ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
• High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion • High ability to facilitate collaboration as well as build and sustain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups and organizations • Excellent communication skills, both orally and written, with diverse audiences • A commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally • Strong work ethic • Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices • English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better • Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admitted to the Bar of the State of Ohio (or if not currently admitted, expected to obtain admission within 12 months from date of hire) preferred • Prior Legal Aid or related work experience a plus, but not required
Submit resume, writing sample, references and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with Staff Attorney in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered: SEOLS’s clientele is extremely diverse and all of our clients are low income. To ensure that our agency is best serving our communities, SEOLS strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.