The Children’s Law Center (CLC) represents children in custody/visitation, paternity, guardianship, domestic violence and connected child protective cases. Under the leadership of the Executive Director, the Attorney will work to effectuate the mission of CLC to provide children with a strong and effective voice in legal proceedings.
Major Purpose of the Position:
The Staff Attorney must be able to handle a high volume of cases from intake through trial. Under the supervision of the Borough Director, the Staff Attorney will ensure that CLC maintains high standards of representation and client services.
- Conduct interviews with clients and other individuals;
- Handle court appearances and part coverage;
- Subpoena or otherwise obtain all necessary documents in order to prepare cases;
- Maintain comprehensive and well organized case files;
- Regularly handle intake, comprehensively prepare cases for conference, mediation or trial;
- Analyze legal issues, develop legal strategy and facilitate its implementation;
- Properly evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a case;
- Explore non-trial/non-litigation dispositions and negotiate best possible resolution for clients;
- Collaborate with the Writing Unit, Social Work and Paralegal teams to best represent CLC clients;
- Ongoing communication with other disciplines, as necessary;
- Incorporate the use of technology both in substantive practice and in management of daily calendar;
- With supervisory support, evaluate conflicting demands and prioritize workload;
- Regularly respond to client, community and staff concerns;
- Attend training sessions pertinent to practice; and
- Perform other duties as requested.
Key Qualifications and Competencies:
- Admitted to practice law in New York State
- Demonstrated skills in advocacy, cultural competence, mediation and interviewing
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest and policy
- Knowledge of family court, custody, domestic violence and child welfare
- Demonstrated experience teaming with colleagues to find solutions to complex situations
- Superb people, effective communication skills (written and verbal), time management, and organizational skills
- Curiosity and eagerness to continue learning new skills and grow professionally and take an optimistic approach to new challenges
- Demonstrated efficient, persistent and meticulous attention to detail along with outstanding initiative, analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to work independently with excellent judgment, diplomacy, professionalism and able to prioritize requests, track and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated skills as a regular user, of software, technology, and online resources including knowledge of databases, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook including calendaring and tasking), Internet searches, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise complete discretion when working with confidential and sensitive information
- Desire to work in a busy organization that represents children
Click Here To Apply: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2737121