Senior Legal Secretary
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
- At least two (2) years experience as a litigation secretary;
- Type 60 wpm, with excellent proofing skills, as well as being able to transcribe from dictating equipment;
- Must be proficient with Word, Excel, and Power Point;
- Good written and oral communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of civil filing procedures and deadlines;
- Knowledge of immigration filings and procedures preferred;
- Knowledge of Family Law filings and procedures preferred;
- Knowledge of court e-filing procedures;
- Ability to work collaboratively with all LAFLA staff, clients, and community organizations; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Prepares and proofreads legal correspondence, agreements, petitions, pleadings, motions and interrogatories;
- Prepares drafts of routine correspondence, interrogatories and pleadings, selecting appropriate data from the files, discusses specific problems that require individualized drafting with the attorney; and prepares final drafts for attorney review;
- Performs a variety of secretarial duties such as setting up and/or maintaining filing systems, tickler systems, appointment calendars, answering inquiries over the phone or in person, and managing secretarial and administrative details with minimum direction;
- Coordinates logistic and administrative aspects of legal workshops, such as typing, updating, and translating (if applicable) workshop manuals and Power Point presentations, maintain client mailing list, preparing and sending out fliers;
- Assists attorneys or legal staff with translating for monolingual speaking clients in attorney-client meetings, administrative and trial hearings and correspondence if applicable;
- Provides support in short-term legal projects, including, but not limited to trial preparation tasks;
- Provide coverage and/or support for secretaries at any of the five community offices throughout Los Angeles; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Senior Legal Secretary” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A six-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.