Poverty Law Attorney
Poverty Law Attorney
Hybrid remote work schedule: 3 days in office/field and 2 days remote
Base office in Hendersonville, NC with travel to other office locations and service region.
Position Status Full-Time
FLSA Status: ExemptJob Posting
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) is a community-based non-profit legal aid agency governed by a local Board of Directors. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC), Pisgah Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in WNC. The organization currently has offices in Asheville, Brevard, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Highlands-Cashiers, Marshall, Newland, and Rutherfordton. With over 100 dedicated staff, including over 30 attorneys plus program staff, and an active group of 300 volunteer attorneys, the program provides free services to over 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking a full-time N.C. licensed attorney to handle poverty law cases in Hendersonville and Transylvania Counties. Legal aid experience preferred. Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous attorney and a team-player and demonstrated commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- Represent and advise clients in judicial and administrative hearings in landlord/tenant, domestic violence and family law, consumer, public benefits, community economic development, and other poverty law areas as needed.
- Work in and travel to rural locations and attend court.
- Conduct client interviews with trauma-informed approach; advise and represent clients in Small Claims, District, Superior courts, and administrative proceedings as appropriate. (This may include representation, preparation for self-representation, obtaining continuances for assessment, and referring cases to other attorneys.)
- Document all work and communications in Legal Server case management software.
- Organize and conduct outreach and educational presentations.
- Establish branch office(s) within service area.
- Develop and maintain community relationships including other non-profit agencies, government officials, government employees, community leaders and others.
- Travel within our service area and also to meetings or conferences in other parts of NC.
- Adhere to program priorities and case handling policies, procedures, and standards of practice, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Keep abreast of developments in the law and disseminate information to staff, volunteer attorneys and the public.
- Work with volunteers, including volunteer attorneys, on a regular basis.
- Assist in fundraising and outreach in coordination with PLS Development Team.
Salary ranges from $51,819 – $98,297 depending on experience.
Our salary scale is predetermined based on the years of relative professional work experience that qualify for this position to ensure equity in pay.
Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage the 1st of the month following the start date. Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) pays 100% of the Employee and 50% of the Dependent Cost for BCBS Medical and Dental coverage. PLS pays 50% of the Employee Coverage Cost for BCBS Vision coverage. PLS pays 100% of Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage, Life Insurance Coverage of 5x base salary + an additional $15,000 Life & AD&D Coverage. 401k Retirement Plan after 6 months of employment. Additional Fringe Benefits includes Paid Parental Leave, 12.5 Company Holidays, 22 Paid Leave Days, Paid Sabbatical Leave for Attorneys, Employee Assistance Program for entire household and a great working environment with work life balance!
COVID-19 Safety Information:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Pisgah Legal Services has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, as of January 4th, all Pisgah employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine. Employees who are unvaccinated or have an approved exemption will be required to provide verified weekly COVID-19 test results. We currently have COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
- N.C. licensed attorney
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to assist upset or ill people.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
- Possess valid driver’s license.
Submit your online application with resume and cover letter through our Career Center located at https://www.pisgahlegal.org/jobs
PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with our Human Resources department.