Managing Attorney (Asylum Project)
• Develop specialized knowledge of asylum law and expedited removal;
• Interview detained families and conduct intake;
• Evaluate eligibility for relief from removal;
• File motions for custody redetermination;
• Assist and counsel individuals seeking asylum, including preparing for credible fear interviews and Immigration Judge review of a negative decision by an Asylum Officer;
• Collaborate with current community partners and form new partnerships;
• Supervise and work with attorneys, legal paraprofessionals and volunteers;
• Maintain accurate and complete client files and administrative records; and
• Fulfill all requirements necessary to remain in good standing with the State Bar and the Supreme Court of the applicable state, including but not limited to, compliance with the minimum requirements for Continuing Legal Education.
• JD from accredited university.
• Licensed to practice law. If not licensed to practice law in Texas, willing to apply;
• Bilingual in English and Spanish
• Ability to work independently and as a part of a team;
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends and accommodate an irregular work schedule;
• A proven commitment to supporting vulnerable populations.
• Dedication to and experience in serving low-income populations;
• Experience working with survivors of trauma;
• Experience coordinating community services, working with community partners, and/or participating in volunteer-based projects.
• Three years experience assisting clients with asylum issues.
Click below to apply.