Law Clerk (Asian & Pacific Islander Community Outreach Project)
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Law Clerk. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Must be computer proficient; has experience with Word and Excel;
- Understanding of and commitment to social justice;
- Good written and oral communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Ability to work collaboratively with all LAFLA staff, clients, and community organizations; and
- Bilingual in an Asian language strongly preferred.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Prepares legal papers (i.e., pleadings, motions, and forms);
- Conducts intake through hotlines and clinics and answers a variety of inquiries on the status of legal procedure, and on the procedural aspects of processing legal actions by the office, under attorney supervision;
- Assists attorneys or legal staff with interpreting for limited-English proficient clients in attorney-client meetings, administrative hearings, and translating correspondence;
- Provides support in short-term legal projects, including, but not limited to, trial preparation tasks;
- Participates in community outreach and education projects; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include “Law Clerk-API” in the subject line.
Probationary Period: A six-month probationary period will be required.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.