Helpline Paralegal/Administrative Support Staff
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Paralegal/Administrative Support person for the Centralized Telephone Intake Helpline. LASP serves low-income individuals from Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties facing issues regarding housing, including landlord/tenant law and foreclosure, family law, protection from domestic violence, consumer, employment and public benefits. The Helpline is located in Norristown, but handles new client intake, advice and referrals from the four counties in LASP’s service area and beyond. The Paralegal/Administrative Support person must be a team player, willing to handle a multitude of duties as needed, and must possess the ability to analyze facts and legal issues quickly, provide sound legal advice under supervision of a licensed attorney, determine which cases should be referred for extended services, and communicate effectively with clients and prospective clients. The position also carries administrative responsibilities requiring strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills and experience with case management systems or an ability to quickly learn these and other computer skills. The Paralegal/Administrative support person may be asked to report in person to LASP’s Norristown office or to work both remotely and in-person in Norristown, depending on the status of the pandemic. The salary will be commensurate with experience and LASP’s personnel policy. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required, and COVID protocols are in place.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Perform clerical duties to assist other Helpline advocates such as providing information to callers, taking dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, copying and scanning, picking up, sorting and routing incoming mail and preparing outgoing mail;
- Maintain files of correspondence and legal documents in office filing system;
- Retrieve files for audits and other purposes;
- Under supervision of an attorney, triage calls, evaluate the merit of cases, explain legal concepts to clients, and prepare correspondence and documents to assist in the representation of clients;
- Interview applicants and clients by phone to determine eligibility, issue spot, ascertain and investigate relevant facts, and conduct research;
- Create and maintain case files in LASP’s computer case management system, complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, entering notes and time into the system;
- Manage a caseload by taking prompt action on assigned cases;
- Organize information and use technical resources so that information necessary to assist applicants and clients is easy to access and can be transferred to other staff for extended representation;
- Participate in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Develop knowledge of relevant law and community referral resources through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Ensure that requirements of grants and contracts which provide funding for LASP are met and assist with grant reports as needed;
- Abide by all professional and ethical standards of excellence; and
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of the office.
SUPERVISOR: Helpline Supervising Attorney or other supervisor as assigned.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates or bachelor’s degree. At least 2 years’ experience as a paralegal or related experience and/or training. Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology, including Microsoft products (particularly Word, Outlook and Excel), record and timekeeping software, and routine database activity. Excellent communication, time management and organization skills needed. Spanish language fluency is desirable.
Send resume and cover letter including the job title (Helpline Paralegal/Administrative Support Staff (ZRAW12222021)) to Kesha James, Deputy Director for Advocacy at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by email to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.