Helpline Paralegal/Administrative Support Staff
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a full-time Paralegal/Administrative Support person for the Centralized Telephone Intake Helpline. LASP serves low-income individuals from Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties facing issues regarding housing, including landlord/tenant law and foreclosure, family law, protection from domestic violence, consumer, employment and public benefits. The Helpline is located in Norristown, but handles new client intake, advice and referrals from all four counties in LASP’s service area. The Paralegal/Administrative Support person must be a team player, willing to handle a multitude of duties as needed. The Paralegal/Administrative Support person must have the ability to analyze facts and legal issues quickly, provide sound legal advice, determine which cases should be referred for extended service and communicate effectively with applicants. The position also carries administrative responsibilities requiring strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills and experience with case management systems or an ability to quickly learn these and other computer skills. The Paralegal/Administrative Support person must have the capacity to work both remotely and in person in Norristown. In light of lessening COVID restrictions, there is a possibility that the Helpline will soon return to normal in-person operating capacity, so the Paralegal/Administrative Support person must be comfortable working with other staff in the close quarters of the call center. The salary will be commensurate with experience and LASP’s personnel policy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Perform clerical duties to assist other Helpline advocates such as providing information to callers, taking dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, making copies, scanning documents, picking up, sorting, and routing incoming mail and preparing outgoing mail;
- Maintain files of correspondence and legal documents in office filing system according to office policy;
- Retrieve files for audits and other purposes as requested;
- Under supervision of an attorney, triage calls, evaluate the merit of cases, explain legal concepts to clients, and prepare correspondence and documents to assist in the representation of clients;
- Interview applicants and clients by phone to determine eligibility, issue spot, ascertain and investigate relevant facts, and conduct legal research;
- Create and maintain case files in LASP’s computer case management system, complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, entering notes and time into the case management system;
- Manage a caseload by taking prompt action on assigned cases;
- Organize information and use technical resources so that information necessary to assist applicants and clients is easy to access and can be transferred to other staff for extended representation;
- Participate in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- Develop knowledge of relevant law and community referral resources through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- Ensure that requirements of grants and contracts which provide funding for LASP are met and assist with grant reports as needed;
- Abide by all professional and ethical standards of excellence; and
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary for the effective operation of the office.
SUPERVISOR: Helpline Managing Attorney or other supervisor as assigned.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information or on any other basis prohibited by law.
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates or bachelor’s degree. At least 2 years’ experience as a paralegal or related experience and/or training. Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology, including Microsoft products (particularly Word, Outlook and Excel), record and timekeeping software, routine database activity, graphics, etc. Excellent communication, time management and organization skills. Spanish language fluency is desirable.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter including the job title (Helpline Paralegal/Administrative Support Staff (PMAN8232021)) to Kesha James, Deputy Director for Advocacy at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by email to Hiring@lasp.org. Position will remain open until filled.