Health Justice Program Navigator/Certified Application Counselor- Temp
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $8 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-six, including thirty-four attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
PLS is seeking temporary Navigators/Certified Application Counselors through the ACA open enrollment (November 1, 2021-January 15, 2022). It includes direct enrollment assistance as a Navigator/Certified Application Counselor (CAC) and maintaining information in the appointment database called the Connector. This position will be mostly remote with work from home and includes administrative work to support the Health Justice Program.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player, and a demonstrated commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important. By ensuring that the lowest-income people in Western North Carolina have access to full health services we will increase opportunities for positive health outcomes at the individual and community levels.
- Must successfully complete and pass the certification to become a Certified Application Counselor/Navigator provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) upon hiring.
- Ability to use multiple applications on a computer and perform work from home.
- Make consumer phone calls to schedule appointments and follow-up on a regular basis.
- Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance to the Health Justice Team members and the Director.
- Keep track of Connector appointments and schedule.
- Communicate with Coordinator and Director on program needs.
- Identify and contact consumers who may have a “good story” when requests come from media.
- Assist in tracking and managing program equipment, computer hardware, etc.
- Have demonstrated ability and/or experience working with the public.
- Possess strong computer skills and the ability to navigate the healthcare website.
- Must be free from conflicts of interests, including payments and incentives from brokers, insurers or insurance industry; must not accept, directly or indirectly compensation from issuers related to enrollment in Qualified Health Plans or Non-Qualified Health Plans.
- Possess socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with people who may be angry, upset, or ill
As a Navigator/Certified Application Counselor (CAC), must be able to:
- Take 20+ hours of initial web-based training and successfully complete and pass the Certification Training to be provided by Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Options and the Centers for Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Attend NC specific trainings as appropriate and maintain competency in state-specific enrollment topics.
- Work with individuals in one-on-one appointments remotely or in a Pisgah Legal Services office location in Western North Carolina if possible.
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings relevant to Health Justice issues as indicated.
- Understand the needs of underserved and vulnerable populations; eligibility and enrollment rules and procedures; the range of qualified health plan options and insurance affordability programs and privacy and security standards.
Share information regarding the Federally facilitated Marketplace, including:
- Eligibility requirements for federal tax subsidies and cost-sharing subsidies
- Eligibility for Qualified Health Plans on the FFM, Medicaid and North Carolina’s Health Choice and how to enroll in qualified health plans, Medicaid, and Health Choice on the marketplace website and/or ePass
- Work with individuals and facilitate plan selection based on the needs of the individual/family or the small business seeking health insurance coverage, assess tax implications and premium and cost-sharing requirements, application submission, renewal, and disenrollment processes.
- Help people understand how premium tax credits work and their potential financial impact.
- Facilitate eligibility determinations for QHP, Medicaid, Health Choice, and SHOP and premium tax subsidies.
- Provide referrals to appropriate agencies, including the North Carolina Department of Insurance for applicants and enrollees with grievances, complaints, questions, or need for other social services.
- Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities
Salary ranges from $31,120 - $48,339 depending on experience.
- Passion for and commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in areas such as in social work, public health, public policy or a related field
- Available to work Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm, with flexibility for some evening and weekend shifts.
- Demonstrated skills at socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and the ability to work with someone who is angry, upset, or ill.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.