Government Benefits and Elder/Dependent Adult Abuse Attorney
The Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County (Legal Aid SMC) seeks a dedicated public interest lawyer who shares our aspirations for a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to protect the rights of older and dependent adults and other vulnerable populations. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to affirming differences in race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and past or present military service.
- Client services. Advise and represent San Mateo County adults with disabilities and older adults in elder/dependent adult abuse cases and low-income San Mateo County adults in safety net government benefits cases. Pursue all appropriate legal strategies, including litigation, in accordance with Legal Aid SMC’s priorities.
- Policy Advocacy. Collaborate with staff and community and other legal services groups to pursue systemic changes that address elder/dependent adult abuse and improve access to government benefits.
- Community outreach and trainings. Provide outreach and education about access to safety net benefits and elder/dependent adult abuse issues to older adults, adults with disabilities, and other disadvantaged communities, and agencies serving these populations.
- Active membership in the California State Bar
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law
- Excellent analytical, writing, public speaking, and communication skills
- 3-5 years of experience with public benefits (CalFresh, CalWORKs, SSI/SSA, CAPI, GA) or issues affecting older adults and adults with disabilities
- Ability to drive with access to a vehicle
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Proficiency in Spanish, Cantonese/Mandarin, or Tagalog
- Experience working with different cultures and community organizations
Email a cover letter explaining your interest and how you meet the qualifications and a resume to Hope Nakamura, Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County at email@example.com.