Description. Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. (Legal Services) seeks an Executive Director to lead our non-profit law firm as we enter our 51st year of service to low income residents of Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties. Our mission is to empower our clients and the communities we serve to achieve justice and eradicate barriers to economic and social stability created by poverty. We seek highly qualified applicants with a vision and demonstrated passion for serving and advocating on behalf of the poor and other vulnerable populations.
Legal Services receives funding from the Legal Services Corporation and from a variety of local, state, regional and national funding sources. The Executive Director has the responsibility and the authority for both the strategic and day-to-day administration of the affairs of Legal Services, in accordance with the Legal Services Corporation Act and its Regulations, and its bylaws. Legal Services has a strong group of private donors and a Foundation which also provide support.
We seek candidates with a history of executive-level management experience, ideally in a Legal Services Corporation funded program; being the face of a non-profit organization; and guiding non-profit organizations in the successful implementation of their strategic planning goals and fundraising.
The Program. Established in 1966, Legal Services provides free civil legal advice and representation to low income individuals and groups in Miami-Dade County and Monroe County (Florida Keys). Our clients are primarily the working poor, families with children, older adults, people with disabilities, veterans, people who are homeless and other vulnerable low income individuals. We also represent non-profit organizations engaged in the development of affordable housing and economic revitalization of low income communities, and other organizations composed of members of the low income community.
Legal Services’ 25 attorney staff provides the full range of legal services from legal advice to representation before state and federal administrative, judicial and appellate courts. Legal Services has numerous community partnerships and collaborations to enhance and support its advocacy on behalf of the low income community. Attorneys are organized into specialty units and projects including: Tenants’ Rights Unit, Homeowner and Consumer Unit, Health and Income Maintenance Unit and Community Economic Development Unit. The attorneys are supported by a professional staff composed of paralegals, intake specialists, legal secretaries, translators, and clerks. Pro bono attorneys, law clerks and interns provide significant support.
Legal Services is a fiscally strong organization for which the Executive Director has significant responsibilities including the Legal Services of Greater Miami Foundation and the 4343 LLC through which its office building is owned and operated.
1. Serve as the public face of Legal Services; provide leadership in local and state legal aid forums; engage with the local courts, the private bar, the justice community, and other community leaders.
2. Develop and cultivate relationships with individual and corporate donors, foundations, elected officials and other funders to increase and diversify Legal Services’ financial resources.
3. Ultimate responsibility for obtaining funding, developing the program budget, including making budget projections, allocating resources according to priorities, and maintaining accurate financial records.
4. Ultimate responsibility for oversight of the Finance Department and fiscal operations of the program.
5. Ensure compliance with the requirements of all funding sources.
6. Ultimate responsibility for the implementation and direction of Legal Services according to the policies set by the Board of Directors.
7. Regularly keep the Board of Directors fully apprised of the status of Legal Services’ operations and financial status.
8. Regularly advise the Board of Directors on policy matters, support the Board of Directors in identifying goals and priorities, and conduct ongoing, effective strategic planning.
9. Serve as manager of the 4343 LLC and ultimate responsibility for all building operations.
10. Oversee Legal Services’ advocacy and promote collaborative teamwork.
11. Promote collaboration with other legal aid providers and human services organizations.
12. Oversee the administration of a staff of 60+ persons, including recruiting and retaining high quality staff, working collaboratively with and managing an effective leadership team, implementation of technological upgrades and innovations, and working closely with the Board of Directors and Legal Services of Greater Miami Foundation.
13. Perform other duties as the Board of Directors from time-to-time may assign.
14. Performs other related work as required.
The successful candidate must demonstrate strength in each of the following major areas:
1. Demonstrated commitment to promoting the mission, vision and values of Legal Services or a similar entity.
2. Unwavering commitment to the delivery of high quality legal programs, fiscal strength, and organizational integrity.
3. Must live in Miami-Dade County or relocate within a time agreed to by the Board of Directors.
2. Background and Experience
1. Minimum 10 years’ experience as a senior leader in Legal Services or other non-profit legal practice. Prefer individual who has been/is a direct report to the Executive Director or an Executive Director of a similar program.
2. Member of the Florida Bar or admission within the time agreed upon by the Board of Directors. There is no reciprocity with other State Bars.
3. Experience practicing civil poverty law. Deep understanding of and experience serving the low income community and clients similar to those served by Legal Services.
4. Past demonstrated success working with a Board of Directors to develop and implement the organization’s strategic plan to advance or achieve the organization’s mission and goals.
5. Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the demonstrated ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
3. Knowledge and Skills
1. Fiscal and Fundraising
A. Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector and South Florida in particular.
B. Strong budget management and development and skills, including budget projection, preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
A. Excellent written and verbal skills; a passionate and persuasive communicator with excellent interpersonal, public speaking, and networking skills.
B. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people, volunteers, donors, clients and staff.
A. Excellent organizational manager with the ability to coach and inspire staff, work collaboratively with the management team, develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, simultaneously lead multiple projects, and manage a budget.
B. Knowledge of Legal Services Corporation regulatory requirements.
4. Personal Characteristics
1. Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative.
2. Demonstrate a high level of professionalism and integrity by:
A. Being familiar with and abiding by the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct.
B. Abiding by the highest standards of truthfulness and honesty.
C. Being enthusiastic and energetic about Legal Services, clients and the work of the program.
D. Possessing poise in general and under pressure.
E. Possessing self-confidence and inspiring confidence in others.
F. Promoting team work and encouraging professional growth in others.
G. A strong work ethic.
H. Possess humility. Accepting of constructive criticism and acting in accordance with suggestions.
Applications should be submitted on or before July 7, 2017, but will be accepted until the position is filled. The application should contain the following: a cover letter expressing in detail why you are interested in the position, your qualifications, and what you hope to contribute to the organization’s future; a current resume; the names and contact information of three professional references; and salary requirements. Please submit applications by email to:
Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. Search Committee, Julie Azuaje, Chair, Julie_azuaje@ryder.com
Subject Line: Legal Services Executive Director Application
LEGAL SERVICES OF GREATER MIAMI, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER