American Samoa Legal Aid, Inc. (ASLA) is seeking to employ a full-time attorney for our non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of American Samoa. The successful applicant should be willing to start employment at ASLA on August 2, 2021 or soon thereafter.
About the Position:
ASLA is interested in hiring an attorney preferably with experience in representing clients in civil matters. Experience in one or more of the following areas would be helpful: Family Law, Consumer Law, Home Foreclosure Defense, Debt Collection Defense, Administrative Law, Immigration, Domestic Violence, Social Security, Public Benefits, etc.
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any U.S. state or territory for a minimum of five years.
- Admitted to practice law in American Samoa or become eligible to practice law in American Samoa.
- Minimum of five years experience as an attorney practicing law.
- Proven ability to lead, motivate and manage a legal firm, legal department or legal aid program with diverse staff and clients, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience with fiscal oversight of a program, law firm, company or government entity, for at least three years, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience working with a board of directors in a non-profit or legal services environment, or equivalent experience, is preferable.
- Prior experience in successful fundraising in a non-profit or legal services environment, or equivalent experience, is preferable.
- Familiarity with Legal Services Corporation regulations is preferable.
- Ability to speak and write both English and Samoan will be favorably considered.
- Experience working in American Samoa and knowledge of, and respect for, the cultural practices of American Samoa will be favorably considered.
Experience working in a pacific island community will be favorably considered
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to those submitting their applications on or before July 15, 2021. Interested candidates should submit a letter expressing why they are interested in the position, as well as what they believe they can contribute to the future of the program and its client community. The letter should be accompanied by a current resume with the names and contact information of three references. Application letter and resume should be submitted electronically via email in Word format to Chuck Greenfield, ASLA Interim Executive Director, to Charleskgreenfield@gmail.com. ASLA is an equal opportunity employer.