JOB TITLE: DEPUTY DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Date Posted: February 12, 2020
Application Deadline: The position will be open until filled.
For full consideration, apply by March 20, 2020
Salary Range: $90,000+ DOE and Qualifications, Excellent Benefits
South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), the primary provider of free civil legal aid to low income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & the Islands, seeks an experienced and detail oriented Deputy Director, with strong communication skills to work closely with and support the work of the Executive Director. The Deputy will assist in the development of organizational policy, including strategic planning and assessment of legal need in the region, be responsible for the execution of strategic goals, supervise communications and data collection efforts, support human resources and diversity efforts, assist with ensuring the organization complies with requirements of the largest funders, and supervise senior staff as determined by the Executive Director.
Reporting to SCCLS’ Executive Director, the Deputy will be a key part of the Executive Management team and contribute to ensuring the overall success of the organization in meeting its mission to provide high quality civil legal aid to low income people and communities in Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & Islands. The position will be located in SCCLS’ Fall River office.
SCCLS is a growing non-profit. With a staff of 55, four offices and more than $7 million in annual funding from 30+ sources, SCCLS operates a statewide AmeriCorps program and provides civil legal aid to more than 11,000 residents in its region annually. Major funders include Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation, and the federal Legal Services Corporation.
The Deputy Director will have an excellent opportunity to contribute to the strategic growth and direction of the organization.
• Development and implementation of policies and key strategic goals for the organization;
• Play a key role in recruitment, hiring, orientation and professional development of staff;
• Support the work of the organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts;
• Lead ongoing legal needs assessment efforts;
• Assist with legislative lobbying efforts for funding for civil legal aid and other fundraising campaigns;
• Investigate and resolve staff grievances in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
• Ensure compliance with policies and grant requirements of SCCLS’ largest funders;
• Supervise communications and data collection efforts;
• Supervise senior staff and/or organizational projects as directed by the Executive Director;
• Provide mentoring, consultation, and supervision for staff members or unit leaders regarding legal work, as needed; and
• Assume other duties as requested by the Executive Director.
• Licensed to practice law in Massachusetts, or eligible to practice;
• Excellent demonstrated skills relative to supervision, mentoring, training and development of professional staff with varying experience levels;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
• Proficient in use of legal case management systems, Microsoft Office Suite and tools for data management;
• Significant experience providing legal aid to low income clients (experience in an IOLTA or LSC funded program helpful);
• Demonstrated project management, grant management, problem solving, planning and organizational skills;
• Organized, efficient and goal oriented; and
• Committed to providing effective and high quality legal assistance to low income residents of our region.
Position Location: Fall River, Massachusetts. Southeastern Massachusetts is geographically diverse and an excellent place to live.
To Apply: Qualified applicants should submit:
1) A letter of intent
3) Professional references
TO: Jmarcotte@sccls.org with DEPUTY DIRECTOR in the subject line.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.