The Community Advocate is a professional advocacy position providing victim services for VOCA legal assistance clients, including interviewing victims and witnesses, identifying appropriate community services and resources to assist the victim meet his/her physical and emotional needs, and participating in community outreach.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a licensed attorney and according to basic principles, procedures and professional requirements of the legal profession.
Essential Duties :
- Provide victim advocacy functions, including interviewing, assessment, crisis intervention, safety planning, liaison with local law enforcement agencies for crime reporting and follow up, assistance in gathering information and completing applications for injunctions of protection, victim compensation, child support, custody, attendance at hearings, information and referrals
- Collect information, facts, witness statements and other relevant data
- Assist in the preparation of program service reports as required
- Conduct outreach with social service organizations, grassroots and other Hispanic groups, Spanish language churches, radio stations and other media outlets to generate referrals and share information for victims of crime to come forward and receive services
- Prepare bilingual written materials to promote the services and inform the community about victimization and supports for victims
- Maintain victim files, collect and enter data according to GLS procedures
Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a preference for degrees in psychology, criminal justice or social work.
- At least one year of experience working with victims of crime, including domestic violence and sexual assault is preferred.
- The ability to relate empathetically with victims of crime, as well as their families and/or children if relevant, without bias or prejudgments, is required.
- Must be bilingual in Spanish and English, with written and oral skills, and be culturally competent.
- Experience working with Hispanic victims of crime is a plus.
Please send your resume to Tara Meyer, Fiscal & MR Manager : firstname.lastname@example.org