LAJC is a nationally-recognized anti-poverty non-profit committed to battling poverty and injustice through individual legal representation, group and class action litigation, community organizing, policy advocacy, and media relations. From its offices in Charlottesville, Richmond, Petersburg, and Falls Church, LAJC is a fierce advocate for low-income clients and communities in Central and Northern Virginia, and its work broadly impacts the entire state. For more information, visit www.justice4all.org.
LAJC is seeking an experienced communications professional to develop, lead, and support all of LAJC’s strategic communications. The ideal candidate will have significant communications experience, as well as demonstrated experience working on anti-poverty and racial justice initiatives. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Communications Director will work closely with our development team on fundraising communications, and with our advocacy teams to advance LAJC’s ambitious agenda to achieve economic, racial, and social justice throughout the state.
Develop a comprehensive strategic communications plan for LAJC, including developing a proactive plan for advancing advocacy goals, enhancing donor communications, and setting up protocols for handling breaking news and crisis communications
• Develop a local, state, and national press strategy, including promoting in-depth reporting and op-ed placement
• Provide media training and technical assistance to program staff, clients and community partners on media strategy and execution of communications plans in furtherance of advocacy campaigns
• Work with the development team to produce written materials highlighting LAJC’s work, such as annual reports, brochures, e-newsletters, solicitation letters, etc.
• Create and maintain our website and social media content, including keeping current initiatives and program pages up to date and publishing dynamic content • Provide editing support for development and others producing outward-facing content
• Cultivate long-term relationships with media partners, develop press materials, and serve as media contact for LAJC
• Strong commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
• At least five years of relevant media/communications experience
• Outstanding writing, organizational, and leadership skills
• Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively
• Reliable personal transportation and willingness to travel statewide occasionally and to LAJC’s other offices frequently
• Sense of humor
Experience working in communities directly impacted by economic and racial injustice
• Familiarity with many of our areas of practice
• Diverse economic, social, and/or cultural experiences
Email a cover letter, resume, three references, and a writing sample to Angela Ciolfi, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cover letter should highlight experience in building impact campaigns, including relevant litigation experience.
The cover letter should also highlight any specialized skills, such as language fluency, organizing experience, or technology skills.
The positions will be open until filled, but applications will start being reviewed on April 30, 2019.
Questions? Contact Angela Ciolfi, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 434-529-1810.