Chief Financial & Operating Officer
Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A (Brooklyn A) is seeking a Chief Financial & Operating Officer to work with the Executive Director on all aspects of organizational management.
Since 1968, Brooklyn A has provided free legal services for low-income residents and organizations of Brooklyn, pursuing a uniquely neighborhood-based mission of justice, empowerment and community development.
- Responsible for (with ED) the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial and cash management, budget, accounting, and payroll.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of various financial statements and reports, including reports of estimated future expenses and revenues.
- Verifies proper application of accounting principles and regulatory requirements.
- Directs the maintenance and reconciliation of general ledgers, account payable, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, purchasing, payroll, bank statements, cash receipts, depreciation, cost, property, and operating expenses, and insurance records.
- Prepares annual budget with other senior management, program directors and Board Audit & Budget Committee.
- Prepares budgets for various grants and contracts with government agencies, foundations and corporate supporters.
- Directs internal audits involving review of accounting, administrative controls and contract compliance.
- Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting.
- Appraises organization’s financial position and generates and presents quarterly fiscal reports to ED and Board Finance Committee.
- Develops and maintains a system for managing fixed assets.
- Ensures compliance with tax filings and charities registration.
- Works with Development and Program staff to create budgets for proposals.
Administration/Human Resources/Facilities Management
- Directs all aspects of human resources such as payroll, benefit administration, office procedures, personnel issues and maintain related confidential files.
- Monitor organization’s compliance with applicable human resources law and regulations as well as internal policies.
- Participates in all personnel issues, including hires, terminations, salary adjustments, complaints, and disciplinary actions.
- Trains and supervises staff on fiscal procedures, budget management and other office policies.
- Coordinates the purchasing and implementation of IT systems.
- Oversee IT-related consultants ensuring that organization has the technology resources needed to support its work.
- Manage organization’s real property and fixed assets, both owned and leased.
- Oversee supervision of office managers and administrative staff.
- Interfaces directly with funders and regulatory bodies, including the IRS and state finance agencies, to resolve issues, disputes, and requests.
- Develops and implements a grant compliance reporting and vouchering program.
- Works with Development and Program staff to ensure that fiscal requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized and monitored.
- Provides guidance to the staff in the preparation of reports to funding sources.
- Supervises the monitoring of all contracts to ensure compliance with fiscal and programmatic reporting.
- Trains and supervises staff on case management software.
- Work with Development and Program staff on grant proposals.
Bachelor's degree (MBA/CPA preferred); Prior experience required
Please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Please put CFO/COO in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls.