Position Title: Human Resources Benefits Administrator (202302-148)
Position Location: This position is based in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Mission and Vision: Legal Aid of North Carolina is a statewide, nonprofit law firm that provides free legal services in civil matters to low-income people to ensure equal access to justice and to remove legal barriers to economic opportunity. Legal Aid of North Carolina is an innovative, creative, progressive, and efficient civil legal service provider to low-income people, working towards an inclusive justice system of equal access. All voices are valued, heard, and respected.
Job Description: The Benefits Administrator will:
- Report to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators to ensure compliance in administration.
- Consult with and advise colleagues and management regarding eligibility, plan provisions, and other benefits related matters.
- Act as liaison between colleagues and insurance vendors utilizing excellent customer service and problem resolution skills.
- Manage & administer leave of absence programs, including leave tracking, document distribution, processing benefit payments, benefits eligibility, claims resolution, and return to work.
- Manage COBRA process with third-party vendor.
- Manage & administer retiree medical plans and support finance on annual audit requests.
- Oversees the maintenance of employee benefit files.
- Facilitate benefits new hire orientations, as well as other benefit presentations and trainings.
- Assist with coordination, planning, and rollout of annual Open Enrollment, including written communication, open enrollment meetings, annual plan renewals, and setup/management of all electronic file feeds.
- Maintain accurate records regarding dependent eligibility and validation process.
- Maintain administrative procedures for benefits processing.
- Reconcile, audit, and process benefits invoices to ensure accurate and prompt payment.
- Maintain and monitor the accuracy of employee deductions and elections in HRIS.
- Manage annual retirement plan audit as well as all corresponding tax filings.
- Manage all internal audit processes; including reviewing and updating administration processes to ensure accuracy.
- Manage workers compensation claims and all related filings, postings, and required compliance reporting.
- Responsible for the completion and filing of the annual Form 5500.
Candidates applying for this position should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field is required.
- Certification in employee benefits (CEBS) is preferred, but not required.
- A deep commitment to the mission and values of Legal Aid of North Carolina.
- A commitment to, appreciation for and understanding of organizational values around diversity, equity and inclusion.
- 5+ years experience in employee benefits administration with strong knowledge of laws and regulations, such as HIPAA, FMLA, COBRA, ADA, ACA, etc.
- Prior experience with managing Workers Compensation claims.
- Experience with cloud based HRIS systems is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to speak in group or individual settings.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex correspondence; must understand Welfare Benefit Plan documents.
- Ability to write moderate-level correspondence to employees, management, and vendors via internal and external memorandums and reports.
- Ability to effectively present information to management or others in a group or individual setting.
- Ability to perform complex calculations when reconciling billing statements and calculating insurance premiums, deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, etc. as related to daily tasks.
- Computer literacy and intermediate experience with Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, Outlook, and other email applications.
- Ability to utilize SOPs to work independently under limited supervision and heavy deadlines.
- Be motivated, with the proven ability to set goals and meet self-imposed and external deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsive to emerging needs that may arise at a moment’s notice.
- Experience with organizational management.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment.
- Ability to work with professional discretion, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Be exceptionally well-organized.
- Be honest, trustworthy, reliable, and open to feedback.
Salary and Employee Benefits: The salary range for this role is competitive (ranging from $50,000-70,000) and will be commensurate with the candidate’s years of service, competencies and experience. Legal Aid of North Carolina provides excellent health, retirement, disability, and leave benefits. Employee medical, vision, dental, and life insurance premiums are covered at 100% by the employer. Discretionary 401(k) contributions. Paid leave includes 1.75 days per month (21 leave days in the first two years; 30 days in subsequent years), 12 paid holidays, 2 floating holidays, and other paid leave.
Are you the next Benefits Administrator for Legal Aid of North Carolina?
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter, resume, references and any other materials that you wish to be considered to CHRO, Arlene Glasco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Aid of North Carolina is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Selection will be based on merit and will be made without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, mental disability, marital status, familial status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, senior citizens, and persons with different abilities are highly encouraged to apply. We thrive when we are diverse.