Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective leader to work in the Housing Unit (visit www.communitylegalsocal.org for more information about us). We seek an individual who wants to take the opportunity to advance our community-driven work in housing rights.
● Active Bar membership in California;
● Minimum five years of legal experience;
● Experience in providing legal services to improve access to and preservation of affordable housing opportunities for low-income residents;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Legal Work Experience
● Knowledge of applicable housing laws and community legal needs;
● Litigation experience in State and Federal Courts, preferably in legal issues involving access to housing;
● Experience engaging in policy advocacy, coordinating or collaborating in policy campaigns with partner community-based organizations, conducting legal research and providing legal services to improve access to and preservation of affordable housing opportunities for low-income clients;
● Represented clients before judicial tribunals in a full range of civil legal matters with primary emphasis on landlord tenant, and legal issues involving access to housing. Other practice areas include foreclosure;
● Proficiency in dealing with people empathetically and effectively, while providing excellent legal services;
● Prior commitment to serving low income individuals, and the most vulnerable immigrant communities and survivors of domestic violence; and,
● Bilingual preferred, Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese is a plus.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
● Provide direct legal services to low-income clients needing assistance with housing advocacy including defending tenants in eviction proceedings;
● Identify significant legal needs to prevent homelessness and increase the variety and supply of safe, stable, accessible and affordable housing;
● Outreach to homeless communities where individuals are comfortable seeking assistance;
● Conduct trainings and outreach to community-based organizations and community groups;
● Develop and coordinate legal clinics with volunteers and other community collaboratives;
● Coordinate with other assistance organizations in the area by providing referrals and implementing partner meetings to assure appropriate and efficient coverage of services;
● Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend community events, outreach and engagement and hold and assist with legal clinics; and
● In conjunction with the Supervising Attorney and Director of Pro Bono, recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Mary Lou Czerner at email@example.com. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.