Associate Director, Public Programs
ABOUT EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS:
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. Please go to www.equaljusticeworks.org to learn more about Equal Justice Works.
Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of opportunity that begins with incoming law school students and extends into later careers in the profession. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that blocks lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works inspires and provides opportunities for the legal community to change lives, make careers, and deliver on the promise of justice for all.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Associate Director, Public Programs, supports the Director of Public Programs in planning, strategy and management of high-performing, high-impact “corps” fellowship programs and the staff behind them. The position partners closely with Director of Public Programs to chart the Unit’s future growth and change efforts to be responsive to opportunities, and leads the Unit program management team.
- Supports the Director of Public Programs in strategic planning and coordination of unit operational goals and change efforts.
- Provides business and program expertise to inform program design, program performance and management, and program integration within the unit and across the organization.
- Leads program teams to build excellence in program identification, program set up and planning, program implementation, outcomes monitoring and evaluation through end of program transition.
- Ensures streamlined high quality operationalization of existing programs and securing new programs, including proposal development and resource allocation.
- Supports the Director of Public Programs in managing unit resources and budget.
- Communications unit and organizational goals to all levels of the organization and to external stakeholders.
- Leads, coaches and mentors unit management team and supports professional development.
- Develops program management manual, minimum standards in collaboration with the Unit Director.
- Advises program managers on program technical assistance curriculum design, content development, and learning systems.
- Represents Unit/Org externally at conferences/stakeholder meetings.
- Deputizes for Unit Director.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned by Unit Director or as directed by Executive Vice President.
- Advanced degree required, JD and/or MPA or MBA preferred, with ten plus years of work experience, with at least seven years of program management at a senior managerial level in a nonprofit organization, foundation or government agency.
Business acumen combined with deep knowledge across one or more relevant programmatic areas such as international programs, grants, civil legal aid, fellowship programs, and access to justice issues.
Track record of delivering superior results, commanding respect and assuming leadership roles.
Diplomatic and skillful in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among diverse internal and external stakeholders.
Superior judgment, with an ability to maintain professional, upbeat attitude and sense of humor.
Exceptional analytical, writing & verbal skills for communicating with a broad and diverse audiences, including stakeholders across the practice, policy, community & political sectors.
Ability to prioritize, focus and achieve results, including strong ability to source and analyze data and ability to rapidly learn, organize, and synthesize information.
Solutions-oriented, with strong conceptual and innovative thinking in complex, dynamic and/or completely new situations.
Demonstrated ability to effectively influence, lead and develop a senior level team.
Demonstrated commitment to growth, meeting a high bar, and contributing to a positive workplace culture of continuous improvement.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Comprehensive and generous benefits package commensurate with education and experience, including loan repayment assistance, full healthcare coverage, dental and 401k.
Salary Range - Compensation commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should send resume, three references and cover letter describing in detail their experience, qualifications and why they would be a good fit. Please note: Phone calls and direct emails will not be accepted. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.
EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, political affiliation or any other basis covered by appropriate law.