The webinar which will consist of brief presentations on work being done with the corporate sector by legal aid programs. We have asked each of the presenters to describe:
- The work they do with corporations
- How long they have been working on these initiatives; how much/what percentage of their program’s resource development time is spent on corporate work
- How successful their efforts have been, in terms of funds generated, pro bono commitments, active support for other fundraising, etc.
- Lessons learned, both positive and negative.
We are particularly interested in the lessons learned, which we hope we can eventually turn into some “best practices” for corporate work for legal aid programs. We also expect to use the feedback received on this call to plan the corporate session for the MIE Fundraising Conference in Chicago, July 18-19, as well as to identify other next steps on this topic.
Our presenters work in programs with strong overall resource development efforts that are actively working to increase corporate investment in legal aid:
- Andrea Kaufman, Director of Development, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid – Their work has been around underwriting/sponsorship for their annual event and cultivating general counsel.
- Dave Yoder, Executive Director, Legal Aid of East TN – Information about a corporation that is very involved with their program and provides a variety of support.
- Bob Glaves, Executive Director, Chicago Bar Foundation – CBF has a number of initiatives, including sponsorships for their annual pro bono event, in-house counsel giving through CBF’s annual lawyer campaign, and a corporate leadership circle.
- Helen Meyer, Development Associate, Pine Tree Legal Assistance – Information about a long-time event (Muskie Dinner) held annually that is aimed at the business community, and a new ATJ Commission initiative to increase business community investment in legal aid.
For more information on the MIE National Fundraising Conference and to register click here.
Webinar Timeline (times are approximate):
- 2:40 - 8:00: Meredith McBurney, MIE Resource Development Consultant, Overview
- 8:00 - 20:00: Andrea Kaufman, Director of Development, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
- 20:00 - 38:00: Helen Meyer, Development Associate, Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- 38:00 - 45:00: Dave Yoder, Executive Director, Legal Aid of East TN
- 45:00 - 54:00: Bob Glaves, Executive Director, Chicago Bar Foundation
- 54:00 - 1:09:00: Q&A