National Directors Conference
Held every two years, the National Directors Conference offers experienced and new legal aid executive directors, deputy directors and senior managers the opportunity for an extended conversation on an important topic of the moment in an intimate setting. Recent conferences have included topics such as: Moving from “Good to Great;” Managing Money as an Element of Greatness; What is the “Executive” in Executive Director?; Mergers and Reconfigurations; Emotional Intelligence, Leadership and the Workplace; Building Better Programs; Employment Law; and LSC and other funder compliance issues.
A National Directors Conference was among MIE’s earliest activities as an organization, dating back to the mid-1980s, and support to directors remains central to MIE’s mission. More than 250 directors have participated in these biennial conferences. This is what participants say about their experience at MIE’s National Directors Conference:
- I benefited from the opportunity to share experiences with other EDs with a wide range of
- experiences. This includes both very experienced and relatively newer EDs; I was pleased that all brought something to the table.
- I enjoyed the thoughtful conversations. Folks seemed to be at a high level, willing
- to question how they are doing things. It was refreshing.
- There were an array of excellent presenters who kept the conversations focused
- and on point.
- Very smart, well prepared, and experienced presenters. Very well organized.
- I welcomed the opportunity to chat with peers and hear ideas and input from leaders in the
- The agenda was well put together and it seemed to have something for everyone.
- Materials were helpful and insightful. I will use them back home and I plan to share with them with my management team.
- Terrifically organized, very good conference. Thanks for all you do.