Biennial Conference for Legal Services Managers: Leading from the Middle
This conference is for all legal aid program staff who oversee branch offices, or programs or systems that involve management responsibility and supervision of staff or volunteers.
Sessions typically included at this conference include: Coaching and Mentoring; Difficult Conversations; Improving Employee Performance; The Challenge of Performance Appraisals; Managing Conflict; LSC and Non-LSC Programs Working Collaboratively; Financial Management; Using Your Case Management System for High Quality Supervision; Fundraising and Marketing; Effective Advocacy under LSC Restrictions; Strategic Planning; Identifying and Meeting Clients’ Legal Needs; Effective Use of Technology; Designing and Managing Projects; Measuring and Evaluating Outcomes; Managing with Unions; Planning Across Substantive Issues to Meet Client Needs; Teamwork; Tough Decisions: When Staff Need to Leave; Hiring, Training, and Orientation; Time Management; Maintaining a Safe Workplace; Cultural Competence; Managing Change; and Work/Life Balance.
MIE created “Managers in the Middle” in 1998. The conference has been held every eighteen months since then – eight conferences so far. This is perhaps the only place where legal aid managers receive management training specifically related to work in a legal aid program. Cumulatively, more than 600 legal aid managers have benefited from this conference. Many return, to learn the latest, share successes and network with their colleagues. This is what participants say about their experience at MIE’s Biennial Conference for Legal Services Managers: Leading from the Middle:
- The program was great! I learned so much and it was helpful to hear what other managing attorneys were facing in their programs.
- The program gives you time to sit and think about your work, to interact with others in the same situation.
- What a wide variety of topics - something for everyone. Session I got the most out of was the "How to Have a Difficult Conversation." Great speaker and very interactive.
- I liked the useful information regarding work plans, project planning, evaluations, and time management.
- The technology sessions were extremely informative and provided me with very important information. I also benefitted from the opportunity to network with colleagues from other parts of the country.
- First of all, I appreciated the diversity of speakers. I liked the willingness of the speakers to take questions, engage the audience in thoughtful ideas about the subject.
- The conference materials have a lot of good information. I'm glad that it includes the
- materials for the workshops I wasn't able to attend.
- Great job with the conference. It was my first MIE conference, and I'm sure it will prove valuable to my work.
- This was a very good conference, I'm glad I went. It was very helpful to find out that other programs are implementing projects that we have been talking about for a long time.
- I was glad to see that the life balance/life quality workshops were included in this conference, as that has always been a priority for me, including for my staff.
- Thank you for providing such an informative and relevant conference.
- M.I.E. consistently puts on high quality conferences. I can't wait to send my Deputy Director to the next one.