WNC Economic Recovery Program: Program Director/Site Coordinator for Central-Southern Region (Henderson, Polk, Rutherford, and Transylvania)
Pisgah Legal Services is a community-based non-profit corporation governed by a local Board of Directors. PLS has an annual budget of $8 million from a multitude of funding sources. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina, Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income people in western North Carolina. PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Newland, Spruce Pine, Hendersonville, Rutherfordton, Brevard, Highlands/Cashiers and Marshall. With a dedicated staff of ninety-six, including thirty-six attorneys plus supporting staff, and an active pro bono panel of 300 private attorneys, the program provides free services to more than 20,000 people per year to meet their basic needs, primarily in the poverty law areas of housing, public benefits, domestic violence prevention, health care, immigration, and consumer law.
Nature and Location of Position: The Program Director/Site Coordinator for the Central-Southern Region will support the regional program capacity of the WNC Economic Recovery Program for Henderson, Polk, Rutherford, and Transylvania counties for a multi-year grant funded expansion of anti-poverty work within the broad areas of free tax preparation/tax credits and outreach/enrollment for Affordable Care Act health insurance. The WNC Economic Recovery Program is designed to have long-term impact through two main priorities: (1) reduce the child poverty rate in each WNC county and (2) increase the insured rate through quality, affordable health care coverage in each WNC county. The program will work in conjunction with the entire PLS legal aid staff to support expanding free legal assistance to help a growing number of very low-income people each year to solve problems related to basic needs, particularly housing, domestic violence, health care, and insufficient income. Work will likely include, but not be limited to, working from offices in Henderson, Rutherford, and Transylvania counties, and from home.
Pisgah Legal Services is seeking a Program Director/Site Coordinator manage the expanded work of the Health Justice Program, a collaborative model of partnering poverty law legal services to address the Social Determinants of Health with non-legal ACA health insurance enrollment work and tax return work. The enhanced program will involve considerable community outreach and education to inform non-tax return filers that it is in their interest to file tax returns and avail themselves of the child tax credits, the earned income tax credits, and the ACA advanced premium tax credits.
Passion for promoting justice and overcoming barriers facing low-income people, being a creative and zealous staff member and a team-player, and demonstrating commitment to achieving lasting results for clients and low-income communities are all important to this challenging role. By ensuring that the lowest-income people in Western North Carolina have increased incomes and access to health care, we will increase opportunities for positive outcomes at the individual and community levels.
- Supervise and manage regional aspects of program, staff and volunteers.
- Serve as a VITA Site Coordinator through the IRS and maintain required level of certification to manage and supervise tax preparation services.
- Engage community leaders and partner organizations that serve children, develop key community relationships and partnerships, and support recruitment of volunteers.
- Provide education, outreach and trainings to constituents of partner organizations.
- Engage in issue spotting and holistic service delivery for the client community and/or which seek to effectuate systematic change in conditions that adversely affect the client community.
- Maintain a caseload of tax preparation and ACA enrollment work, commensurate with experience and supervision role.
- Work with community partners to facilitate and incentivize referrals to PLS including review/creation of MOUs and referral processes.
- Help to administer major grant funding to implement this expanded and enhanced program.
Salary ranges from $38,484-$69,293 depending on experience. Excellent fringe benefits, including 401(k) retirement plan, as well as life, health, and disability insurance.
- Commitment to PLS’ mission, values and vision.
- Experience in Affordable Care Act Enrollment preferred
- Experience in tax preparation preferred.
- Availability and flexibility for early evening and weekend hours during peak ACA enrollment (Nov 1-Dec 15) and tax filing season (Feb-Apr 15).
- Ability to work under time-constraints and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people and communities.
- Comprehensive understanding of Social Determinants of Health.
- Possess socio-economic and cultural sensitivity and ability to communicate with persons in crisis or under stress.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams and independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with in a variety of nonprofit and health care stakeholders
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.
- Detail-oriented, accurate and organized
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Highly proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Valid driver’s license
E-mail resumé and cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLS invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
Pisgah Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.