VOCA Attorney/Project Lead
Legal Aid Society has an opening for an attorney in its Clarksville office. This attorney will provide a wide range of legal representation and advocacy to victims of domestic violence, sexual trauma, and stalking under the Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) grant, primarily in areas of family law. Problems occurring to clients that include issues involving consumer problems, housing and other legal issues may also require legal representation and/or guidance. This position is responsible for the following seven counties: Montgomery, Robertson, Stewart, Cheatham, Dickson, Humphreys and Houston. As a part of a holistic approach, representation may include other areas of law as needed, administrative advocacy and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
This position will serve as the VOCA project lead and will carry a caseload. Project lead will be responsible for proper reporting as required by the grant contract and ensuring project goals and objectives are met. This position is funded in full by a VOCA grant from Office of Criminal Justice Programs (OCJP), and the attorney must adhere to goals and outcomes spelled out in the grant contract.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
- At least 3-5 years of demonstrated experience in family law and issues unique to victims of domestic violence.
- Appreciable litigation experience in courts and courts of record.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
- Admitted to practice law in Tennessee.
- Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds.
- Adhere to confidentiality standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent relationship building, leadership and research skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and databases. Proficient computer and technology skills with ability to adapt.
- Must have driver’s license and transportation.
- Written and spoken bilingual skills a plus.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Please indicate which office(s) you are interested in. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Clarksville VOCA Attorney
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.