Vice President and Chief Program Officer
Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 130. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Public Counsel is seeking a dynamic individual with significant experience to serve as a key member of its senior management team. The Vice President and Chief Program Officer will directly supervise the Directing Attorneys of our Projects and the Director of Pro Bono and will work closely with the President/CEO to:
- Manage the existing portfolio of programs and projects within Public Counsel dedicated to providing direct services in the areas of practice described above;
- Manage and coordinate advocacy efforts that seek systemic change on issues arising from these practice areas and advocate for the expanded availability of legal services;
- Develop new programs as needed to address emerging issues related to the mission of Public Counsel;
- Consult with the Grants team, Development and Finance as needed to support fundraising for programs;
- Oversee the legal practice within Public Counsel to ensure the highest quality of legal representation is provided by the organization and that the organization operates in compliance with applicable professional responsibility obligations; and
- Develop, maintain and improve existing relationships with legal and social service organizations and governmental agencies, and develop new relationships with key organizations and agencies relevant to the areas served by Public Counsel.
- JD and active membership in good standing in the California Bar or active membership in good standing in another state bar association with willingness to obtain California Bar membership within one year of assuming the position;
- Significant leadership and management experience;
- A commitment to economic and racial justice;
- Comfort working with low-income, racially diverse clients
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, in PDF form with a subject line reading “Chief Program Officer,” to: firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please. Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws. All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.