Temporary Paralegal (Public Benefits)
For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Legal Aid Chicago seeks a temporary Public Benefits Outreach and Enrollment Paralegal. The position will last for 6 months. The paralegal will report to a Supervisory Attorney. The paralegal will administer an initiative to expand accessibility to Department of Human Services benefits for people who are living in homelessness. The duties of the paralegal include the following:
- Develop and maintain knowledge of law and procedures related to benefits administered by the Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS) such as Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF).
- Assist clients to apply for benefits from DHS using the Department’s online portal and meet clients at City of Chicago Department of Family and Support Services offices (when health and safety conditions allow);
- Represent clients by undertaking such activities as: interview and initial fact gathering; factual and legal research; devise, review, revise and implement the strategy for going forward; and properly prepare the client and maintain an ongoing relationship;
- Provide advice and referral to individuals not accepted as clients;
- Help coordinate and deliver community engagement with people who are homeless and homeless service providers.
- Assist with grant reporting;
- Maintain proficiency with all equipment, computer hardware and software necessary to perform the duties of the position; and
- Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorneys and Director.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred;
- Experience and comfort interacting with people who are homeless including without limitation: older adults, people with physical, mental and cognitive disabilities, immigrants and people with limited English Proficiency required;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required;
- Familiarity with public benefit program eligibility criteria preferred;
- Knowledge of and experience with the Illinois Department of Human Services application process preferred;
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Send cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of two professional references: email@example.com. Be sure to write “Temporary Public Benefits Enrollment Paralegal” in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.