Telephone Counseling Attorney
Prairie State Legal Services is a not-for-profit legal aid organization that provides civil legal aid services to the poor, elderly, and people with disabilities. Prairie State has 11 offices serving 36 counties throughout northern and central Illinois. Prairie State focuses services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and similar needs. It is the only legal aid organization in the majority of its service area. Annually, PSLS handles over 22,000 applications for legal help and serves over 16,000 clients, with primary intake and legal advice services centralized via our telephone counseling service. We pride ourselves on fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and fun, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth. More information is available on our website at www.pslegal.org
The Telephone Counseling Service includes non-attorney intake specialists and attorneys who qualify applicants for service and provide legal advice by phone on a variety of civil legal issues, including housing, family, public benefits, and education and consumer law. The Telephone Counseling Attorney will interview clients, assess legal issues, and provide advice to clients by phone only. The attorneys also refer clients for additional service within PSLS where resources permit and outside of PSLS as appropriate. Telephone Counseling Service staff are primarily working remotely. Candidates for this position must have the ability to be present at office locations for periodic training and meetings.
Among other duties as assigned, the Telephone Counseling Attorney will:
- Interview and advise clients calling from throughout our service area who are in need of assistance with diverse legal issues
- Evaluate clients’ legal issue, conduct research while the caller is on the telephone, and provide legal advice relevant to the clients’ needs
- Exhibit a high level of personal energy, organization, and commitment to the position and the PSLS mission
Salary and Benefits
The Telephone Counseling Attorney position is full-time at 37.5 hours per week, and salary is $48,984 per year. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- Flex schedule and partial remote work
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years. We have a staff of nearly 200 persons including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. PSLS encourages its staff to use their creativity in developing strategies for reaching our client population and in working with other community agencies. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients. More information is available on our website at www.pslegal.org.
- Currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois, or admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral/written communication, research skills, and computer competency
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Candidates who are Spanish-English bilingual are highly preferred
Please indicate “Telephone Counseling Attorney” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to email@example.com.
Resumes accepted until positions are filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.