Support Services – Facilities Assistant
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Facilities Assistant.
The Position: The Facilities Assistant is a critical role in ensuring that all of LAFLA’s buildings are maintained and stocked with all necessary supplies, are kept at the highest operational level and are safe for all staff. As a part of the Administration team, the Facilities Assistant role supports all LAFLA staff in ensuring their workplace is safe
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.
Benefits and Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
- 2-3 years facilities experience;
- Able to follow technical/engineering operations and facilities management best practices;
- Basic operational use of both manual and power tools;
- Some work experience as a handyman or in a skilled trade, such as roofing, landscaping or plumbing desired.
- Ability to lift 30lbs
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Good analytical/critical thinking skills;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively;
- Proactive work ethic;
- Customer/employee service mentality
- Excellent project management skills; and
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or individually
- Assist with maintenance of facility and grounds;
- Ensure COVID facilities protocol is followed;
- Follow maintenance process and preventive maintenance plans. Assist in ensuring all building systems are operational and are maintained in accordance with company policies, environmental regulations, building codes and local regulations;
- Partner with outside vendors for all installations (telecommunications, heat, electricity etc.) and refurbishments;
- Assist with the upkeep of equipment and supplies;
- Participate in site safety programs;
- Monitoring upkeep of building structures to determine the need for repairs or renovations;
- Mindful of utilities consumption and strive to minimize costs;
- Assist supervisor with completing tasks and maintaining vendor relationships including janitorial, landscape , HVAC, electrical, etc.; ensure vendor services are performed timely and properly;
- Assist with activities like parking space allocation, waste disposal, building security etc.;
- Respond to emergency maintenance requests;
- Travel to other LAFLA facilities required.
- Work with manager to conduct facility inspections, building inspector visits and facility safety inspections and address any issues that may arise;
- Other duties as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Facilities Assistant” in the subject line.