Supervisory Attorney (Public Benefits Practice Group, HIV Legal Project)
Legal Aid Chicago seeks a full-time supervising attorney to work in our Public Benefits Practice Group and our HIV Legal Project. The HIV Legal Project provides individual legal representation and engages in broad-based advocacy across Legal Aid Chicago’s Practice Groups: Children and Families, Consumer, Housing, Immigrants and Workers Rights and Public Benefits. The HIV Legal Project partners with organizations that provide medical and other services to people living with HIV / AIDS.
Responsibilities include, without limitation
- Maintain a caseload of individual cases representing clients before the Social Security Administration, Illinois Department of Human Services and in state and federal courts;
- Act as the subject matter expert within the Public Benefits Practice Group concerning legal issues uniquely affecting people living with HIV / AIDS
- Co-counsel cases as part of staff development and be responsible for training staff and overseeing their professional development;
- Engage in advocacy designed to have a lasting, measureable effect on our client community;
- Engage in community outreach addressing issues affecting people living with HIV / AIDS;
- Maintain case files and timekeeping in electronic case management system;
- Supervise attorneys and paralegals in Public Benefits Practice Group
- Work with External Relations and the HIV Project Manager to administer grants that support the work of the HIV Legal Project and Public Benefits Practice Group
- Initiate and manage referral relationships with Cook County HIV Service Providers
Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois or prepared to sit for the next bar exam and have at least six years of practice experience. Experience supervising legal work, working directly with people living with HIV / AIDS, people with disabilities, people who have experienced trauma, and people with limited income highly desired. Applicants must be highly collegial and willing to work in an interdisciplinary manner with all Legal Aid Chicago staff.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “PBPG Supervisory Attorney HIV Legal Project” in the email subject line. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.