Supervisory Attorney (Immigrant and Workers' Rights)
For more than 50 years Legal Aid Chicago has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including public benefits issues, domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Position Legal Aid Chicago seeks a full-time attorney to serve as a Supervisor in our Immigrants and Workers’ Rights (IWR) Practice Group, in its Immigration Project. The Practice Group provides individual legal representation and engages in broad-based advocacy in the areas of immigration, migrant, anti-human trafficking, and employment law. IWR is the only practice group at Legal Aid Chicago that represents clients statewide.
Responsibilities include without limitation
· Supervise the legal work of staff attorneys, paralegals, law students, volunteers, and others, in the field immigration law; · Some representation in removal proceedings; · Provide technical assistance to other Legal Aid Chicago staff with immigration questions; · Co-counsel cases as part of staff development; · Train staff and oversee their professional development; · Maintain a caseload of individual cases; · Engage in community outreach and advocacy designed to have a lasting measureable effect on our client community. · Assist with management of grants within the Immigration Project and IWR generally.
· Licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois;
· Have at least five years of legal services or general civil practice experience, including considerable experience with immigration law and experience working with low-income clients and other vulnerable populations;
· Demonstrated expertise in humanitarian visa practice including U, VAWA, and T visas, asylum and other domestic violence or crime-based immigration remedies, including labor-based crimes; Experience in removal proceedings a plus;
· Experience working with survivors of trauma and with social service providers working with survivors;
· Work proficient Spanish required; Spanish fluency highly desired and
· Have excellent communication skills, and be committed to working as part of an interdisciplinary team.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for two professional references to email@example.com. Please type “Supervisor Immigration Law: IWR Practice Group” in the email subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
Legal Aid Chicago values Diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.