Supervisory Attorney (Housing)
Position: Legal Aid Chicago seeks a full-time attorney to work as a Supervisory Attorney in our Housing Practice Group (HPG). HPG helps low-income tenants by:
- Defending tenants – mostly subsidized housing residents -- against unwarranted evictions and representing individuals and families who are facing the termination of their tenant-based rental assistance under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Ensuring that tenants live in decent, safe, and sanitary housing, free from discrimination and affirmatively furthering fair housing through litigation, negotiation, and advocacy in various venues.
- Educating tenants about their rights.
- Representing tenant groups and collaborating with other tenants’ rights advocates, social service agencies, and housing authorities.
- Identifying and litigating “impact cases.”
- Maintain a caseload of individual cases in the areas HPG handles.
- Supervise attorneys and other staff in HPG who handle a full caseload in the above areas of law, including editing their written work, providing guidance on case strategy, co-counseling complex cases, conducting regular case reviews, providing training in substantive areas of law as well as litigation skills, completing performance evaluations, and overseeing professional development.
- Participate in complex litigation or advocacy to address systemic issues.
- Engage in community outreach.
- Represent Legal Aid Chicago on relevant community task forces, committees, or other government or non-profit bodies connected with our work.
- Work collaboratively with Legal Aid Chicago supervisors, staff, interns, and volunteers to provide comprehensive legal services.
- Participate in other activities related to poverty law including publication, permissible legislative and administrative advocacy, media relations, and fundraising.
- Assist in reporting and administering applicable grants.
Qualifications: Applicants must have a J.D. degree and licensed to practice in the state of Illinois or prepared to sit for the next Illinois bar exam. Membership in the federal trial bar preferred. A demonstrated history of innovation is a plus. The ideal candidate will have at least six years of demonstrated experience in litigation, experience supervising legal work, and substantial experience litigating housing law cases in state and federal court. Applicants must be highly collegial, have complex litigation experience, strong written and oral skills, be willing to work in an interdisciplinary manner with all Legal Aid Chicago staff, and have enthusiasm about working in a fast-paced practice and training and mentoring less experienced attorneys and advocacy staff.
Send your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and the contact information of two professional references to: email@example.com. Please place “Supervisory Attorney – Housing Practice Group” in the subject line of your e-mail. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. No phone or agency calls, please.