Supervising Attorney (Housing)
Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a dedicated lawyer to lead law students practicing law under MCR 8.120 representing low-income tenants in Lakeshore’s Detroit Eviction Prevention office. Supervising attorneys will work closely with directors to identify systemic legal problems and develop and implement impact litigation. In addition to overseeing law students, the supervising attorney will represent clients and maintain a caseload. The Supervising attorney also will ensure that staff comply with funding requirements.
- Supervise law clerks to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation to clients is provided.
- Monitor substantive legal work.
- Ensure staff development through mentoring and training.
- Ensure staff compliance with funding requirements.
- Prepare and draft required funder reports as required
- Represent clients by supervising law clerks under MCR 8.120. Supervisor is responsible for handling cases during semester breaks or in the absence of law clerks.
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
- Develop and maintain a productive work environment.
- Develop a leadership role in legal services organizations, bar associations, and community groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- 5 years or more experience of practice if an external candidate
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to lead and motivate
Starting salary for a Supervising Attorney licensed in Michigan is $75,000 commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, and paid time off.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until June 1, 2023, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.