Supervising Attorney (Bilingual)
THIS IS A BILINGUAL SPANISH/ENGLISH POSITION.
Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Office Location: Sacramento, Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego, or Remote within California
Salary Range (Depending on Experience): $85,176 - $124,722 annually
We base salary and position offers on experience and an internal equity analysis.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS including 8% 401k Match and an LRAP (Loan Repayment Assistance Progra that pays up to $300 per month depending on salary and debt.
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a statewide, non-profit legal organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities. DRC works to achieve fairness and justice for people with disabilities through administrative hearings, individual and impact litigation, state and federal policy and regulatory advocacy, and community education and training.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Supervising Attorney will be the project coordinator for DRC’s Fair Hearing Project. Project staff will provide representation at administrative hearing for mono-lingual Spanish speaking regional center consumers. The Fair Hearing Project will be limited to service denials that will result in serious harm to the client.
The Project will be staffed by a total of 3 attorneys including the Supervising Attorney. Project staff will collaborate with the Legal Advocacy Unit and the Office of Clients Rights Advocates to ensure that DRC offers a comprehensive advocacy strategy to address the needs of the Latinx IDD community.
Essential functions are the job responsibilities an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation.
· Partner with Latinx organizations to provide advocacy assistance.
· Carry an active caseload of clients requiring representation at hearing.
· Supervise two staff with active caseloads of clients requiring representation at hearing.
· Supervision of all administrative hearings, administrative writs and follow-up meetings with clients. Develop a case tracking system to monitor case status.
· Establish and implement an equitable, objective criteria for case acceptance.
· Mentor and support staff attorneys to ensure that they are prepared to provide quality representation while managing a high case load.
· Assist staff with support staff coordination.
· 7 full years of legal experience; or internal candidates who have worked at DRC for 2 continuous year and have 6 years of experience practicing law.
· Demonstrated commitment – through lived experience and/or employment history – to working with people with disabilities and low-income clients, and incorporating race equity and community lawyering principles into their work.
· Substantial knowledge of the administrative hearing practice, including writs, and the regional center system.
· Able to communicate fluently and write effectively in Spanish.
· 2 years of successfully leading multiple advocacy projects such as intake/outreach projects, administrative proceedings, writs, eviction defense, or single client / single defendant lawsuits.
· Mentor, develop, and train the attorneys that they supervise in a positive and collaborative manner. \
LICENSES / CERTIFICATES
Must be a member of the California State Bar, or eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program.
Ability to travel routinely for activities such as supervisory visits, team meetings, board meetings, workshops, education, training, or outreach activities up to 25% of the time. More travel may be required during period of training for new Client’s Rights Advocates.
Working at DRC is more than just a job - it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! Please APPLY,