Staff Attorney (Youth and Family Advocacy)
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to people living with low-income/low opportunity, seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work in its Youth and Family Advocacy Program (YFAP).
The Staff Attorney works with youth in St. Louis City and County who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. The Staff Attorney will provide community outreach and education, legal advice, advocacy and representation in civil, municipal, administrative and other matters that affect a youth’s ability to access housing, employment, education, health/mental health services, public benefits and other essential services. Impact litigation resulting in improvements for many persons may be involved. The YFAP Staff Attorney will work closely with the project’s part-time social workers to provide clients with holistic advocacy.
- Conduct substantive legal work in a variety of practice areas, utilizing all tools available. Draft complex pleadings, letters and memoranda. Advance client goals through legal representation, including administrative hearings and court proceedings.
- Conduct in-depth client interviews, fact gathering and maintain regular and responsive contact with clients.
- Create community education materials. Present and teach to groups of potential clients and service providers (including being able to lead workshops with community organizations). Participate and be active in connecting with community partners and conducting community outreach.
- Enjoy working with low-income/low-opportunity, underrepresented communities, recognizing major issues affecting the lives of low-income clients. Work collaboratively with co-workers and community partners in other professions, supervise law students and paralegals and have excellent communication skills.
- Track project activities for purposes of reporting to funders and assist with grant reporting, as needed.
Salary & Benefits Information:
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, a generous time off policy, 403(b) and profit sharing plans, long-term disability and life insurance, employee assistance plan, and flexible spending account.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- 2 years experience as a practicing attorney strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law or to legal services for the poor strongly preferred
- Previous legal experience working with low-income youth and/or non-profit organizations strongly preferred
- Ability to relate well and work with youth and low-income clients
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong litigation and advocacy skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office and case management software
- Demonstrate initiative, sound judgment and a commitment to our legal aid mission
- Open to creative and innovative ways of fulfilling that mission.
Upload your resume and cover letter through JobScore. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Director at the e-mail ketucker @lsem.org. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.