Staff Attorney (TJP) Remote
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLAs mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to tens of thousands of low-income people annually. Our work impacts farmworkers, indigenous populations, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBTQ+ communities, women, children, and low-income families in rural areas.
- Position: Staff Attorney - Northern CA
- Experience: 6+ months
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Location: Northern California, remote with regular travel to court in the following counties: San Joaquin (Stockton); Stanislaus (Modesto); Yuba, Sutter, Colusa (Marysville).
- Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position, Full Time (37.5hrs/week)
Reporting to the Legal Director, the Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services, and the Code of Professional Responsibility. Funding for this position is through 12/27/2024, with the expectation that continued funding will be awarded.
Provide legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation & administrative advocacy) to low-income clients in housing matters, including but not limited to:
- Unlawful detainers
- Landlord/Tenant disputes
- Public Housing administrative matters
- Assist callers with housing matters via a multi-office legal advice hotline.
- Represent tenants in unlawful detainer matters, including travel to court as needed.
- Review/supervise the work product of Community Workers and Support Staff relating to all clients being advised or represented in housing matters.
- Develop leadership in working with the community, clients, and other advocacy groups related to housing impact issues.
- Participate in training, case reviews, staff meetings, and other CRLA activities.
- Prepare and provide community education regarding housing legal rights.
- Collaborate with members of the private bar as necessary.
- Maintain contemporaneous time records in the case management system.
- Maintain a great working relationship with all staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & QUALITIES of our ideal candidate: We intend to bring a candidate with as many of the following qualifications and qualities as possible:
Required Education and Experience
- Admitted to practice law in the State of CA, eligible for California's Provisionally Licensed Lawyer program, or eligible to practice as a Registered Legal Services Attorney, or admitted before the court of any state and willing to take the next CA bar.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Good people skills, empathy, patience, and the ability to maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
- Bilingual fluency preferred.
Preferred Education and Experience
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Prior experience in legal services and additional language ability relevant.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
We offer a diverse, family-friendly environment and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries; generous benefits package which includes 100% employer-covered medical, dental, vision, life, and short & long-term disability insurance for employees and up to 50% for dependents coverage; and 401K retirement plan with CRLA contribution effective immediately. Some professional dues are paid by CRLA (Bar Fees) and, if qualified, up to $6,000 law school Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP). Generous paid leave policy which includes; 15 days of sick leave, 15 holidays each year, and vacation (accrue 15 days for the first year of service and 20 days after one year of service at CRLA). This is a union position (Legal Service Workers for Rural California "LSWRC" ), and the salary ranges from (Staff Attorney: $65,500-$90,000) depending on each year of admission to practice law in any U.S. jurisdiction and any relevant law-related work experience prior to being admitted to practice law.
CRLA requires that all employees are Fully Vaccinated, defined as a CDC-approved COVID vaccination and one booster shot. This offer is contingent on meeting this requirement. The complete vaccination policy, including the process for reasonable allowable accommodations, is available for your review upon request.
CRLA invites all applicants to submit their resume and in their cover letter a statement about how their unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity, and we are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.