Staff Attorney - Shartsis Friese LLP Public Interest Fellowship
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to tens of thousands of low-income people annually. Our work impacts farmworkers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBTQ+ communities, women, children, and families in rural areas.
Position: Staff Attorney - Shartsis Friese LLP Public Interest Fellowship
Experience: 0-3 years of experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Available Location(s): CRLA Santa Rosa office
Term of Employment: Temporary 2 years (Starting October 2021)
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney will provide comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services, and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
- Provide free legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation, court & administrative hearings) to low-income clients under the program priorities and case handling policies.
- Review/supervise the work product of Community Workers and Support Staff relating to all clients being advised or represented.
- Develop specialized knowledge in a substantive area of poverty law and acts as a resource for other CRLA staff through participation in at least one CRLA task force.
- Participate in training programs, case reviews, staff meetings, and other CRLA activities.
- Collaborate with members of the private bar as necessary.
- Maintain contemporaneous time records in the case management system.
- Maintain a great working relationship with all staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any state.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of CA or willing to take the next CA Bar Exam.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Good people skills and the ability to maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
Preferred Experience: A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Ease with technology, including call center software, case management software, Microsoft Teams, and Microsoft Excel.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) Fluency Preferred
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits:
A generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution based on a competitive public interest union salary scale. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA, and if qualified - participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
CRLA invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.