Staff Attorney (RJU) - Housing Specialist
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services and the Code of Professional Responsibility.RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation & administrative advocacy) to low-income clients in housing matters, including but not limited to:
- Unlawful detainers;
- Landlord/Tenant disputes;
- Public Housing administrative matters;
- Review/supervise the work product of Community Workers and Support Staff relating to all clients being advised or represented in housing matters.
- Develop leadership in working with the community, clients and other advocacy groups related to housing impact issues.
- Participate in training programs, case reviews, staff meetings and other CRLA activities.
- Prepare and provide community education regarding housing legal rights.
- Collaborate with members of the private bar as necessary.
- Maintain contemporaneous time records in case management system.
- Maintain great working relationship with all staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
QUALIFICATIONS & QUALITIES
Required Education and Experience
- Admitted to practice law before the court of any state.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of CA or willingness to take the next CA Bar Exam.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low income clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Good people skills and the ability to maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) Fluency
Preferred Education and Experience
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Prior experience in legal services and additional language ability relevant.