Staff Attorney (REACH Initiative)
Legal Aid of Nebraska seeks a staff attorney for the REACH Initiative (Raising Effective Advocacy for Crime Victims Health and Safety). The position will be located in North Platte. REACH Initiative attorneys will bring legal services to communities in central and western Nebraska by providing a range of civil legal services to low-income victims of domestic violence, elder abuse and exploitation. The attorneys will travel regularly to rural communities to establish and maintain community partnerships, conduct community education, and provide quality civil legal services.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
• Handles a caseload: evaluates potential cases to determine acceptance and extent of representation; identifies and gathers other information to assist in determining case acceptance; formulates legal opinions and recommendations based on investigation, interviews and legal research; represents clients in all aspects of their cases, including, but not limited to preparation of pleadings, research, discovery, negotiations, settlement, litigation and appeal, if appropriate and approved; educates clients regarding their legal options and the consequences of each, as well as processes and procedures involved in representing the clients' interests.
• Maintains knowledge of the current developments in the various substantive areas of law as they affect Legal Aid's clients and the client community, in which the individual attorney practices.
• Correctly applies and complies with policies, procedures and mission statement and assists in implementing firm goals.
• Complies with LSC Regulations and record keeping in all the cases the individual attorney handles and activities in which the individual attorney is involved.
• Performs such other duties as are assigned by Supervising Attorney or management.
Successful applicants will have good research, writing, litigation and communication skills. Successful applicants will also have a demonstrated interest or experience in advancing the goal of equal justice for all. Must be admitted to Nebraska bar or out-of-state bar with pending waiver application to Nebraska bar.
Must have a current driver’s license and properly licensed and insured vehicle.
Please attach a 3-5 page writing sample in the application.
Please apply at the below link.