Staff Attorney (Public Benefits Program)
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. (LSEM), a non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal assistance to people living with low income/low opportunity, seeks a Staff Attorney to work in its Public Benefits Program, one of three teams in LSEM’s Health & Welfare Program. The Public Benefits Program assists individuals who are having difficulty accessing or maintaining health and income maintenance benefits such as Medicaid, Food Stamps, Temporary Assistance, Child Care Assistance and other benefits. The Program also addresses issues related to Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income and Medicare, as resources permit. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for representing clients in matters before the Missouri Family Support Division and other state and federal agencies. The attorney will also participate in systemic work, including administrative advocacy and impact litigation. Responsibilities include:
- Legal case management,
- legal research and writing,
- drafting of administrative and court documents,
- participating in multi-sector advocacy teams to improve public benefits policies and practices;
- representation in administrative hearings, and
- litigation in state and federal courts (less frequently occurring than administrative hearings).
The salary range for this position is $51,500-$77,250. Specific salary offered to a candidate will be based on their experience. There are opportunities for advancement, including raises. Excellent benefits including a generous time off policy (starting at 3 weeks up to 6 weeks each year), 403(b) and 401(a) retirement plans, employee assistance plan, flexible spending account, medical, dental and vision insurance.
Submission Deadline: Applications will be considered until position is filled.
Equal access to LSEM’s office is available. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact Human Resources at the e-mail email@example.com. LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.
- JD and admitted to practice in Missouri (or eligible to be admitted)
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients in a patient and respectful manner
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, flexibility and teamwork
- Strong advocacy skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
Upload your resume and cover letter through our online application at https://jobapply.page.link/Du4td . Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.