Staff Attorney (Pro Bono Program)
Summary: Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (LABG) seeks a full-time Pro Bono Program Staff Attorney for its Lexington Office. The Staff Attorney will work with the Pro Bono Manager to plan and implement LABG’s Pro Bono Program. This includes engaging with the legal community, recruitment of volunteer attorneys, assisting with CLE programs, and working with new volunteers. The position will assist our cross engagement with other volunteer legal programs throughout the state. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a dynamic civil legal aid provider seeking public interest minded attorneys to help us reach our goal of alleviating the profound and brutal effect of poverty on people’s lives. As a team member at Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, attorneys can participate with us in ensuring fairness, protecting families and changing lives through the civil legal system.
The Staff Attorney provides high-quality civil legal advice and advocacy for eligible clients in all forums, including the courts, administrative agencies, and community outreach initiatives.
The Attorney will:
- Provide civil legal representation to eligible clients within typical poverty law areas consistent with professional standards and policies and procedures of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass and funding sources, including preparing legal briefs and documents, and developing strategy, arguments and testimony in order to present cases in court and other forums
- Work with private attorneys as required facilitating the delivery of legal services to eligible clients through the private bar.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and records, and prepare timely and complete forms and records required for client services and/or related administrative tasks.
- Enter accurate data into LABG’s electronic case management system.
- Interact with clients, other staff members, service providers, and court and administrative officials in a professional, appropriate, collegial, and cooperative manner.
- In coordination with the Program Administration, develop and implement a plan for advocacy work within program priorities and funding that balances service, community education, and other activities.
- Identify and pursue individual training needs and work with Program Administration to address those needs.
- Actively participate in staff and planning meetings, task forces, and trainings if required.
- Maintain time records of all work related activities and enter accurate data on a timely basis into LABG’s electronic case management system.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is a non-profit law firm providing civil legal assistance to nearly 220,000 low income people in 33 counties from 4 offices located in Covington, Lexington, Morehead and Ashland. Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’ legal practice is primarily in the areas of family law, domestic violence, government benefits, and housing and consumer law. It has been and will continue to be the policy of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and success. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives. The position is open until filled.
Requirements, Skill & Abilities include:
- Must hold a Law degree (J.D.) from an accredited School of Law.
- Current standing as a licensed attorney in Kentucky desired
- Ability to use office and computer technology, including case management and word processing software.
- Ability to balance pro bono recruitment and training with other administrative responsibilities.
- Experience working with Pro Bono programs preferred.
- Must be able to travel between LABG’s four office locations and within our 33 county service region
Qualified Candidates should send resume and statement of interest to Resumes@lablaw.org with the subject line Pro Bono Program-Staff Attorney